XP Problems following Security Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine105

I got 4 security updates on April 9. After the required reboot, I now have these problems:
1. Everything loads and runs much slower.
2. After my screensaver starts, the screen freezes. It takes over 2 minutes to revert to the window following a keystroke.
3. I have Microft Plus Digital Media Edition. This no longer converts its recordings to digital files.
4. Windows Installer won't work. I tried to reinstall Digital Media and got the message: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in Safe Mode (I'm not) or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed." I couldn't find anything hepful in MS Support pages.

My OS is XP Home, my Installer version is 3.1 (KB893803)

In general it's the Microsoft programs that are worst, eg any Office program. Non Microsoft programs are still functioning reasonably well but not so quickly as previously.

I ran a virus check: nothing.

Thanks for that, kimsland, here's what I did:

I located the 4 security updates and removed them. Linked to them was an IE security update on the same date so I removed this too. Then I rebooted.

I then accessed the Cleanup Utility. When I ran it, I got the Windows Installer window, then after about 90 secs I got the same failure message reported in my fisrt post. So presumably whatever is wrong is also blocking the Cleanup Tool.

All other symptoms reported in my first post are unchanged.

I was just about to report having done a spot of Googling and found
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346
This article directly addresses the Installer problem and I have it working now. Have reinstalled Microsoft Plus and have a trial in progress, so that's one thing in hand.

Other MS items remain slow: I still get the screen freeze, and today IE is really bad and also keeps freezing for 2-3 mins at a time.

Method 1 or Method 2 ?
Note method 1, is basically my last post (except MS recommends Safe mode)

Also try cleaning out all temp files with CCleaner

You should also make sure the Windows Installer Service is set to Automatic and Started:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services> right click on Windows Installer> Properties> change startup to Automatic> Start the Service.

Reboot.

>>> change startup to Automatic

using manual instead of automatic is just as effective and will cause the service
to 'start on demand' rather than running 24/7 all for not.

You are correct jobeard. However, in this case, I thought it better to put it on Automatic. I am very conservative when it comes to Services and have many I don't need Disabled and others on Manual.

Maybe I should have said "put it on Manual and reboot"
Kind of six of one.....

yes, half doz or 6 --- whichever feels good.

I'm sure everyone knows by now I am partial to running no more than necessary
and thus favor a flock of MANUAL services :)

Sorry for delay - life got worse today. For kimsland, neither method in 315346 succeeded so I read on to the bit about startup properties and turned Installer on that way. Now for Bobbye & jobeard, I set it to Automatic. But when I booted up again this morning it stayed turned off until I went in and changed it manually. I now have it on Manual, but.......I know how to get round the problem but it's far from solved and the crashes/freezes are getting worse. Right now I'm copying all my music stuff in preparation for the last ditch resort of using my Reload CD. I should have said that I've lost all the XP Back up points earlier than April 9 when the problems started.

Re-ran a virus check today after downloading updates but still nothing showed.

Backing up is always a good idea, even when all is going ok (actually especially then)

You can also try Start-->Run--> sfc /scannow
Before re-installing your image disc
Actually, what happens when it asks for your Windows CD ? Not sure in the Recovery CD will work (from that command)
Possibly the other guys can shed some light.

Can you tell me what that command does please?

I don't have the XP CD: it came pre-installed. The Reload Cd deletes all changes and puts the software on the PC back to "out of box".

My plan, as it's nearing time for an aperitivo, is to finish the back-ups, shut down and sleep on it. Failing any better ideas I expect to use the ultimate weapon tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back