XP repair fails when reboot, virus stopping it?

everythingsm

Hi New to Forum,

Last night I got hit with a virus, locked my system up and now BSOD.

XP Pro
Dell Insprion

I can not boot with F8 (any options). I have REPAIRED XP before so I have attempted it again but I follow the directions for REPAIR and after all files are loading into Windows folder i'm prompted to REMOVE Floppy from A Drive. I remove the REINSTALL CD and during reboot I get the same BSOD with same error Code. I can not get to the WIndows An
" An Exciting new look" screen ????

Error Message
0x0000007E (0xc0000006, 0x8A36D90F, 0xBA5038B4, 0xBA5035BO)

Is the virus blocking the repair ? I do not know how to clean my system if I can not go into any F8 options.

Please give direction & help ASAP.

Thanks in Advance for your Knowledge & Help

Did you use anti virus software to remove the virus. Running a repair install will not clean out any malware. As you now cannot boot I would do a clean install which will reformat the drive, thus deleting any infection.

I can't run the removal softwares unless I can't get the system rebooted ? unless you can tell me how ?

I wanted to get the system up and then run all of my removal softwares.

I know you cannot boot the system that is why I said this but you seem to have overlooked it.

Running a repair install will not clean out any malware. As you now cannot boot I would do a clean install which will reformat the drive, thus deleting any infection.

As long as it is a virus that is causing the lock up this method will work. If you need to retrieve any files from the hard drive you will have to remove it and hook it up to another PC, be aware though that you might spread the malware infection to that PC. So, if you do this run scans on the drive using Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials before you copy any files.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/support.aspx?mkt=en-us

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Just one other thing that confuses me. If you know you have a virus why wasn't it removed by your anti virus software when you were made aware of it. Or, are you just assuming that it is a virus that has caused the PC to lockup.

More Info HELP

Mark56 thanks for your reply. You are correct I over looked that you said I could not reboot. Worked on the system for 10hrs yester and was punchy from all the info i've read over. I would rather attempt a repair if possible so I do not have to go through a clean install and add all applicatons again. It may be what I end of doing but would like to try a Repair a little bit more. Below is some info i found I hope you can answer some ?s i have done a repair with a simimialr problem and got the system up and cleaned the system with Malrare, Spybot, Adware, etc.

I found that my CD drive on my Insprion 530s will not read my XP REinstall Discs so I adjusted the Boot Device Config to

1) USB-CD ROm
2)CD ROM
3)Hard Drive
4) Enabled

With the Insprion 530 came XP Reinstall Disc and Drivers & Utilities Disk. I have done a XP REpair before and remember installing both disk, then installing all XP patches, intalling all Explorer upgrades etc.

I can get the USB-CD Rom to read my XP Disc but early in the transfer of Windows files to folder on C Drive there is a time where I press F6(for special drivers third party or RAID Drivers.. very quickly) the set up continues but either doesn't give me the oppty to load the Driver Disk or a message pops up

Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system, or you have chosen to manully specify an adapter. Currnetly, Set up will load support for the following mass storage devices (s):

none

* To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD-ROM Drives, or special disk controllers for use with windows, including those for which you have a device support disk from a mass storage device manufacturer, press S

* If you do not have support disk , press ENTER

I press S, then the below message

Set Up could not find a floppy drive on your machine to load OEM drivers from Foppy disk.

* Press ESC to concel loading OEM drivers
* Press F3 to quit set up

I'm Stuck here. Not sure why XP disk are reconized but not Driver Disk

I have had problems with the CD Drive on my Insprion reading disk from day one and think that if I could get the Driver disk reconized and loaded I could get into SAFE Mode and start going after the Virus. I have a SATA drive and I read on some other post that this has been an issue with other DELL user, or SATA Drives ???

In BIOS Area

On board LANBOOT ROM (Disabled)
SATA Mode is IDE .. should I change to RAID.

Agains thank for your help and sorry for the miscommunication.

Mark56 forgot to answer your questions. When I found out my systems was locked with a Virus found in Microsoft Defender I had to turn power off to my sytem.. then BSOD. i know not smart at all.

If you are using the Dell XP reinstall disc are you actually getting a choice to do a repair install?

If the SATA hard drive came with the PC the drivers should be integrated into the reinstall disc, you will not have to hit F6 during the install.

If you use the F6 early in the installation to load SATA drivers it has to be done with a floppy disc you cannot install your Dell drivers disc at this point, that has to be done when the reinstall is complete.

Going by your final comment, the virus has not been removed, a repair install will not remove it, so even if you have the avilability on your restore disc to repair the OS (which I doubt) you may still find that the drive will still be locked.

Have you tried running a cleaner through your internal CD drive?

Going by the messages you received this not a repair install that you are running it is a reinstallation. As the message also appeared that your hard disk is not being recognised your hard drive may have failed or the SATA drivers are not included on the disc and you have to install them with a floppy disc.

A lot of ifs and buts with this problem so, as I suggested earlier, your best bet is to get the drive into another PC and then use the anti virus software I gave links for to clean it. Or, you do a full (not quick) format and a reinstallation.

The SATA drive needs to be set to IDE unless SATA drivers are installed if you change it without the drivers installed it will cause a BSOD at bootup.

Thanks for replying Mark56.. answers in BOLD

If you are using the Dell XP reinstall disc are you actually getting a choice to do a repair install? YES, after reading i thought this was good casue i read some can't even get the oppty to REPAIR becasue the drive is so corrupted. I was hoping i could get this system going by way of REPAIR since i was given the option.

If the SATA hard drive came with the PC the drivers should be integrated into the reinstall disc, you will not have to hit F6 during the install. Thanks for clarifying, I did see drivers being loaded from XP REinstallation Disk.The SATA drive did come with the system.

If you use the F6 early in the installation to load SATA drivers it has to be done with a floppy disc you cannot install your Dell drivers disc at this point, that has to be done when the reinstall is complete. Info helps I knew I installed the DELL Drivers during the REPAIR but since I could not get to the " An Exciting new look" screen ???? after REBOOT.. only same BSOD (REPAIR of PRIOR XP Installation) I was not sure if i was to press F6 and load the DELL drivers at that point. Now I see why floppy disk not recognized.

Going by your final comment, the virus has not been removed, a repair install will not remove it, so even if you have the avilability on your restore disc to repair the OS (which I doubt) you may still find that the drive will still be locked. Your prob right but i had a similiar prob before and was able to repair and clean the virus.. may not be as lucky it seems.

Have you tried running a cleaner through your internal CD drive? No please tell me how if I can't get into Windows. I know just enough to be dangerous. If possible let me know unless they are in your prior links. i will read again.

Going by the messages you received this not a repair install that you are running it is a reinstallation. As the message also appeared that your hard disk is not being recognised your hard drive may have failed or the SATA drivers are not included on the disc and you have to install them with a floppy disc. My Hard Drive is being recongned. I'm REPAIRING, i get to the BLUE screen which gives me option to R repair selected Window XP installation. I press R not ESC to install a fresh copy of XP. I want the data on the HARD DRIVE. I do get the option to REPAIR.

A lot of ifs and buts with this problem so, as I suggested earlier, your best bet is to get the drive into another PC and then use the anti virus software I gave links for to clean it. Or, you do a full (not quick) format and a reinstallation. If you don't have any other ideas after reading my resposnes i will be doing as you stated earlier. i'm just not a very good computer person, do not have other equipment to do what you said and will prob beign taking into a professional which may be very expensive. i'm trying all i can to see if i can avoid that. i will revw the links again.

The SATA drive needs to be set to IDE unless SATA drivers are installed if you change it without the drivers installed it will cause a BSOD at bootup. Thanks another answer i needed.

Have you tried running a cleaner through your internal CD drive? No please tell me how if I can't get into Windows. I know just enough to be dangerous. If possible let me know unless they are in your prior links. i will read again.

You have misunderstood this, easily done. By a cleaner I meant a physical disc purpose made for cleaning the laser. Sometimes the smallest amount of dust can stop the laser from reading.

I can't think of anything else to suggest at present other than maybe running diagnostics on the hard drive but you would need the use of another PC to make the diagnostics CD. Considering some of the symptons it may be shot, if you could test it and found it was a lost cause a new drive would get you up and going again and save some money on using a professional.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark thanks for hanging with me. I did go into Recovery Console and ran chkdsk. The response was appears to be in good condition. Since you cleared up P6 floppy drive not recognized. The CD reader on my System unit it not the problem. i can read disk from and external drive which has been reading the XP REinstall disk which is connected with the Dell unti.

Re: using a cleaner, I was referring to this from your first post.

I found that my CD drive on my Insprion 530s will not read my XP REinstall Discs

Lets see how it goes running the repair install without using the F6 key.

It is encouraging that chkdsk ran OK.

Mark that's my problem. All files down load into the Windows folder , i'm told the mach will reboot in 10 seconds and to remove any disk. Then BSOD ??? odd same original error message.

It is always very restricting when you cannot boot up a machine. There really is little you can do without having access to another PC to enable you to test and clean the drive. You could try in the Virus forum on this site but if there is a way of booting the machine from a disc to clean out the malware (if that is the cause of the BSOD) you will still need another PC to create a boot disc.

The bottom line is getting access to another PC, trying a clean install and loosing all your data or taking a gamble and buying a new drive. As long as there is no other fault causing this BSOD a new drive would allow you to reinstall the OS and then you could hook up your old drive and hopefully (if it is fully functional) kill the virus and save your data. It's your call:)

Just one last thought came to mind. Power off and unplug the PC, remove your memory stick's and clean the contacts with a soft rubber. Remove the CMOS battery for about ten minutes and refit. Put just one memory stick in and try to boot up, if no go swap the sticks and try again. You could then try the repair install again. That's it, I am now out of ideas.

Let us know how it goes.

MArk56 thanks, i will try what you suggested.

One last question. Do you know of downloadable virus software that i can run from my External Drive with a burned CD ?

http://www.geckoandfly.com/4351/kaspersky-rescue-disk-bootable-dos-antivirus-scanner-software/

Well I have just learned something, I didn't know that this was available or I would have suggested it earlier. On this link are instructions to make a boot disc using a Free download from Kaspersky. Just below the picture of the black screen are links for instruction and the ISO download.

Without access to another PC how will you make the disk?

I have found a more complex way to make a similar disc with much more software on it but this might not be for you.

http://remove-malware.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-bootable-antivirus-disc/

Thanks for your respone Mark56. I have been busy working and will try your link in a week. I will prob need to do a fresh install so can you please provide me with a breif decription on what I need to do or give me some links.

I do have another PC to work with during this process.

How do I get my info out of the bad C Drive ? is there a way to get the data without taking the drive out of the computer ? please explain

Will I expose the PC Laptop i can use to the virus that is in the bad drive ?

I will not be able to work on this for a week so please look back to my resposnes.

Thanks again for your help.

The first thing I would do is create the Kaspersky disk from the 1st link in my last post using the laptop and then boot your PC with it in the drive, you will first have to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios. I have tried the second link and it is not only very time consuming I believe it is very out of date.

You might find that it will boot OK once the virus has been removed, time will tell.

Thanks Mark56 i will try this next Sat. I have to work all days until next Sat so please check me back then and i hope i have some better news. Otherwise the rebuild will have to happen and i will ask you how to retrieve my old data.

Thanks again for your help and responses.

Good news ..need more help

Mark56 I was able to get my system booted up. Below I have provided the link for what i used .Need your expertise though.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/226386#boot.... recovery disk. Used it because it was the most current Recovery Disk I could find. this disk found 4 Trojans. I should have written all of the info down but didn't. Below is some info.

MNT/5dbl-Doc Sty TROJAN 3 similar to this and I beleive one said HOTKEY on it.
I chose to RENAME the files not delete them based on what the AVG direction said and I didn't want to delete something that may cause more damage... may have been a mistake ? ALL FILES WERE RENAMED

Then I used my XP Disk and finally got the sytsem rebooted and repaired. I had some problems where my HDD would not recognize my CD-Rom drive and continue the repair install after reboot. At one point I was told that the HDD could not find a file (unfornately I didn't write the file name down and was trying to get the HDD to recognize the CD ROM and the REPAIR INstall continued without the needed file ?).

My Computer booted up but now i cannot get updates for XP to get current, firewalls not working, Autoupdates not working, I can't update any of my virus softwares, but I can get on the net. When I go to any Microsoft Sites for FIX IT Center I get a message that there is a connection problem.

My guess is the viruses are still in my systems since i renamed them and didn't delete them and i'm currently running all of my cleaning software to see if the RENAMED Virus files will be found and cleaned).

I'm cleaning with 4wk outdated .. Malrabytes, Mcafee, SuperAntispyware, Window Live, Adware, Spybot

Based on what I've written what would you do from here ? and can you tell me if anything else could be stopping my Windows functions besides virus ?

I think I would be tempted at this point to throw in the towel and run a low level format on the drive and do a clean install. That will put everything back to normal and you can be 100% sure that any Malware will have been deleted.

The only other option is to go to the Malware forum and have the experts help you clean out any remaining Malware. The only risk with that is, as it appears your file system has been badly corrupted, that you will still end up having to do a clean install to get everything working again.

It's your call.

P.S. I suspect that all the problems are down to Malware infection. Thanks for the AVG boot disc link, I have added that to my solutions library, looks like a usefull tool.

Back