XP shut down-can't restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running XP Pro on a non-prop computer. I have 256 RAM. Tried putting in a new 256 stick today and it didn't work. After taking it out and replacing it with the 128 (I only have 2 working slots), the computer came on for a few minutes, then suddenly shut down, giving me the following error "System32\Drivers\pci.sys". I am connected to a second computer through a router.
I have tried restarting in safe mode, rebooting from XP cd, etc. I get the following:
When I try to boot from the XP cd it tells me I need to boot from a floppy (yes, I do have a floppy drive also), but this is after it asks me if I want to boot from the cd and I answer yes.
When I try to start in safe mode, it told me I couldn't start because of an error in the software "report problem as load needed DLL's for kernel".
When I tried to hit "R" for repair in windows setup, it told me setup failed and that file "usbohci.sys" was corrupted.
First, can I make a boot disc from somewhere on my other computer and use to get this thing going?
Second, if so, how? Never thought I would need a boot disc. It should recognize the CD.
Third, Is it possible the RAM was corrupt and did this? I had no problems before.
Any other suggestions? Right now I have a great big paperweight.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Raven

I would recommend at least first distinguishing what RAM modules are going to be okay to use during the repair stages and what modules are not. Test each RAM module individually with Memtest to sort out the junkers.

See where thing stand after you're 100% you have working RAM in the rig and not defective modules interfering with operation. :) It'd be counter-productive to try and repair your OS etc. with defective RAM still in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back