XP shut down issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

Iam currently working on a new build for this 790i mother board.
Question
When I go Start>shutdown> and click shutdown, the machine turns off to a certain point then I have to press the power switch to shut down further(It is now safe to shutdown windows) as per instruction of a message.
How can get this to shut down all the way with out having to hit the power switch to do so.
i have Win XP Home installed as an OS.

Advanced Power Management needs to be enabled
Either in "Power" in Control Panel or in CMOS settings

Also some very early Power Supplies did not have this feature

edit:

Are all the Motherboard drivers installed (from the manufactures support page)?

Thanks for your reply
the mother board is a EVGA 790i Very recent model.
At Present the mother baord drivers are installed. PSu is a Silverstone 850W Very new. I will check power mangement in control panel and CMOS

ACPI
I tried enabling it and disableing it and no change.
Nothing in the control panel power related item to play with.
I read XP pro has something, but not Home addition
your thoughts?

If you expand computer in device manager , i get "MPS Multiprocessor PC" Latest drivers and Bios P06 installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

What you need to do is try a repair install and when the screen asks for you to press F6 blah blah YOU press F5 then click and scroll through the options to get to 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC' and select that.

The next screen will ask for F6 again - from there you are on your own unless you ask again -

:)

You wrote
The next screen will ask for F6 again - from there you are on your own unless you ask again -

Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but once the change is made in F5, I do not need to press F6 to facilitate my changes? Correct?

one more quick question if I may, but is Raid worth the effort for gaming? your opinion?

CCT
I tried what you said
I pressed F5 and got two options1)Standard PC with C-Step i486
2) Other
Could not see 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'
did I do something incorrect?

That's one of those lame interfaces that doesn't expand and you have to hover the mouse there and scroll.

Did you?

If you did, then it looks like you'll have to re-install and use the F5 option then.

you were correct, I scrolled with the arrow keys. I found what you said and selected it again but
I got the stop error pci.sys adrress F748EoBF BSOD again and got stopped in my tracks

Question
Can I hit the correct APCI option after F5 and then shut down and keep the setting?
Or does the rest have to load and go through the process.
If I reinstall, then I have the pci.sys stop to contend with and I will go nowhere

Can I hit the correct APCI option after F5 and then shut down and keep the setting?

No - you must finish the repair/install.

If I reinstall, then I have the pci.sys stop to contend with and I will go nowhere

This usually only occurs if you have a basic XP disk (not SP1 or 2). You never mentioned this to start with so when did this occur?

my apologlies CCT,
It did not occur to me till you mentioned the F5 idea. Clearly my neglegents here. thinking back it must of been ACPI that I disabled in Bios to get around the install problems I was having installing XP and then it happen when I tried F5. Obviously there is a catch 22 here and nothing can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back