XP State file cannot be read

Status
Not open for further replies.

mischievous_neo

hi...while starting windows xp sp2 i get the error that ...State File cannot be read...exiting.....i think its the file that scandisk checks in order to determine whether to run a scan or not..please help me fix the problem...it happened after a power failure

hi...tried it but i only have 3 things starting up...nod32, ctfmon.exe and cfi shelltoys xp...none of those seem to be the problem....am not sure what file the OS reads in order to determine the state of the system while starting up

fyi:
chkdsk examines a BIT (the dirty bit) in the filesystem structure, not a State File

in fact, this is a primary operation on all journaling filesystems today (eg Linux) to enhance boot time performance :)

hi thanx for the replies...Jobeard is right...chkdsk does check a dirty bit....scandisk is working fine cauz when the comp hung and i restarted it ran scandisk for all drives...its just that i see that error msg...dunno if it affects the system in any way...if it doesnt i guess i could live with it

mischievous_neo said:
hi...tried it but i only have 3 things starting up...nod32, ctfmon.exe and cfi shelltoys xp...none of those seem to be the problem....am not sure what file the OS reads in order to determine the state of the system while starting up

click on start -> run -> msconfig -> startup -> uncheck --> nod32 / ctfmon.exe or others and restart pc then no problem found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back