XP wanting networking password

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a similiar thread on here but it didn't help me. I networked a Vista and a XP computer together. And the Vista can access the XP with no problems. But when I try to access XP to Vista, it ask for a username and password. Both computer do not use any password whatsoever. The XP has two users on it but there is no login password. I open the the window to: User Account-Advanced-Manage Password and it was empty. And so what do I need to do, to get rid of this password box. Or what do I put in the blanks? I never enter any password for networking. I'm puzzle can someone help me?

On Vista, using an ADMIN account, cp->User Accounts.

Change Guest
  • Enable the account
  • Set a password
  • click ok to close

Go back to Change Guest
  • now disable the account (which will only stop keyboard logins)

Assuming sharing and the firewall is setup correctly, enter the Guest Password

Are you saying its vista that is having the problem and not XP? I tried what you have suggested but I can't set no password for the visitors account. I can set one for the admin. I can enable the visitors account but no password. Sorry, but I'm somewhat a computer dummy, even though I like to explore them. Might suggest, use plain english in detail. Thanks for the reply.

No, it's the NTLM authentication in Vista. Vista uses NTLM v2 which older operating systems have an issue with.

Either

a) enable NTLM v2 in XP (see this article) or;

b) Change the authentication in Vista. To do this, in the registry navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel key and change the setting to 1.

The last method is not recommended as it will authenticate in plain text. However, it works. Keep in mind that editing the registry incorrectly can cause serious problems, including not being able to load into Windows. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, have a professional do it.

God, I get sick of typing that disclaimer. I need a macro... lol :D

Wow, That is getting into the deep of things. Now what do you mean by it will authenticate in plain text? The link that you sent for the changing the xp said nothing about XP. It was all earlier versions. As outline in the acticle does that apply to XP as well? Thanks again.

It should. XP is NT-based.

I'll come back tomorrow to explain authentication. Long day, brain is fried.

No, it's the NTLM authentication in Vista. Vista uses NTLM v2 which older operating systems have an issue with.

Either

a) enable NTLM v2 in XP (see this article) or;

b) Change the authentication in Vista. To do this, in the registry navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel key and change the setting to 1.
Be careful here as this will impact all systems still using NTLM v1,
eg Win/98, Linux, Mac OS x
If you have ANY of these, they (except win98) can be updated for NTLM v2,
otherwise use a setting like if negotiated:
Send Lm & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823659
scroll to
10. Network security: Lan Manager authentication level
values are {0,1,2,3,4,5}

1== Send Lm & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Does it show Guest account or just blank for user name and password. All those prompts can be disable. NTLM is security leak problem in XP I ususally change the default settings. I use run IRIS Security tool and it always pointed to the NTLM as problem.

run secpol.msc
click on local policies
click on security options
To the right panel you can see what you need to configure. I disable Guest accounts here.

Thanks, for all your help, I don't know what I was thinking. I also have XP on the same computer as Vista on another partition. Duh. Because some of my program don't like vista. And I just need to switch to XP when I need to trade files around. I wasn't expecting it would get this deep into it. I'm slightly out of my comfort zone. Trying of what you all suggested. What was MS thinking, didn't they think people would try networking a XP and a Vista computer together? Many thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back