XP - Won't load Last Known Good Config but will load Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm having difficulty trying to discover what the problem for a computer maybe.

The PC restarts whilst loading XP (normally), at the point of the screen which says 'Microsoft Windows'. However it loads fine in Safe Mode.

Last Known Good Config mode doesn't work.

Any ideas if the problem is a hardware or software problem, and what the is causing this to happen.

You need to try a couple of standard things, like:

Remove any recently installed hardware
Remove any recently installed software (in Safe mode ;) )
Run CheckDisk on the drive
Remove any temporary files (I usually just Start->Run-> %temp% and then remove everything in that folder)

Try downloading this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

And if this still does not help. You can check Device Manager for any issues (possibly even remove your Video driver) Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc

Then start leaning towards possible Malware infection (if the above does not work)
Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and have a look at:
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Let us know if one worked :)

Common hard drive problem, or operating system error. If so, the processes mentioned previously will not work. It may be time to install a new drive, and put this drive into a USB external enclosure to save data before you get too far into repair.

Thanks kimsland and raybay for your help, I removed recently installed software (no hardware was added), this didn't stop the problem, CheckDisk reported no bad sectors.

So for now, I've just re-installed XP and it appears to be working fine at the moment, if the problem occurs again, I guess it might be time for a new hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back