XPLite SP3 on Pavilion dv4000 (wireless issues)

Hi Guys,

Got given a HP Pavilion DV4000 from a friend who said it was busted, i've replaced the harddrive and ram and have got it working.
Last night i installed a lite version of XP with sp3 built in. It installed perfectly in under 10 minutes. However i cannot get the wireless to work.
I downloaded and installed the drivers from the HP website and this allowed me to turn the wireless on and i get the little bubble in the bottom left corner saying there are wireless networks in range, however if i click the balloon and it searches for wireless it cannot find any, even though the router is right next to it.

After about a hour of playing around trying to get it working, i downloaded another driver pack from the HP website and this included a wireless application (i think it was HP Wireless assistant, but i can confirm that later today). With the application running i can find wireless connections, but the actual wiress adapter still cannot find any.
When using the software to connect to the wireless it allows me to enter the wpa key and the windows connection says its a bridge network but it never makes it passed authencation.
Obviously the drivers are still wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Nick

When using the software to connect to the wireless it allows me to enter the wpa key and the windows connection says its a bridge network but it never makes it passed authencation.
Some wireless configuration application disables the windows built-in wireless configuration manager so as not to cause any conflicts. Using the HP wireless assistant you can successfully connect to the network? Windows built-in cant?

no, it never makes it passed the authencation stage. The windows adapter says its connecting to a bridged network. but nothing actually connects. The built in adapter cant see a thing but the wireless assistant can.
I have a feeling i've installed the wrong drivers.

i seem to have got the wireless working. I did another clean install of windows and found a ethernet driver by looking in device manager and looking at the device/vendor code. This allowed me to access the internet with a wired connection. From there i installed firefox and ran the Intel Driver Update Utility which installed new drivers for my wireless card. I then reinstalled the Hp Wireless assistant and the wireless is working.

I still have devices which have the yellow ?, the main one being IEEE controller.
but at least the internet is now working on it.

Nick

I still have devices which have the yellow ?, the main one being IEEE controller.
but at least the internet is now working on it.
that;s the 1394 Firewire adaptor.
From your experience noted above, it appears that the OEM drivers for your system
are corrupt or missing.

Go to the HP Support site and update ALL drivers for your make/model

Back