XPS 720 Memory Parity Error

I put my desktop to sleep last night. When I woke up the PC I got the following blue screen

*** HARDWARE MALFUNCTION

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity Check / memory parity Error

*** The system has halted ***

So I powered the PC off, than back on, the PC got to the Windows initial boot-up screen (without any motherboard warning "beeps") than the memory error screen shows up again.
window_startup_screen.gif

My first thought (of course) is that one of the memory modules is bad.

Trouble shooting
1) Removed and re-seated all four memory sticks (modules) in the same slots. No good.
2) Moved the sticks to different slots. No good.
3) Tried just two of the memory sticks at a time. No good.
4) Checked Bios and I could not find any memory issues there.
5) Removed and re-seated network card, video card, and sound. No good.

In the past I have had issues with the memory, however those issues were corrected after I pulled and re-seated the memory. With regards to those errors I did get the motherboard warning "beeps".

Questions
1) If the memory was bad wouldn't the Bios indicate an issue?
2) If the memory was bad would it still be able to boot-up to the Windows screen?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sounds to me like you have a slowly failing part somewhere,, which is just not broken enough to be blatant.

Boot with Ubuntu from CD and see how far you get.

Run with just one stick of RAM in different slots and switch slots and sticks. Test RAM on another system.

May be heat related - so examine for failing solder joint - motherboard - something which feeds voltage to RAM.

Remove and reconnect PSU. Test with another known good PSU.

Making a 'LiveCD' with ubuntu gives you a chance to test everything except the HDD and the Windows OS. If it breaks you can focus on RAM, motherboard, GPU, etc

Turn off your pc at the wall.
Remove all ram,
Turn pc on with no ram and wait till it beeps at you, turn off pc,
Reinstall ram and turn on.
If Pc works raise fists to sky and shout "DEEEEEELLLL!!" with a tortured scream.

Hope this helps! :) Let us know how you get on.

PS: ( if it does work, its a dell thing, Try replacing your cmos battery, this may prevent it happening again in the future)

Last edited:
Back