Yahoo accounts of 200 million users up for sale on digital black market

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you have an account with Yahoo, now would be a good time to reset your password. That’s because a notorious hacker by the name of Peace is reportedly selling the login credentials of 200 million Yahoo accounts on a dark web marketplace for the low price of just three Bitcoins (around $1,800).

In a statement to Motherboard, Yahoo said it works hard to keep their users safe, adding that they encourage users to create strong passwords, create different passwords for different platforms or give up passwords altogether by using Yahoo Account Key.

That said, Yahoo conceded that it is aware of the alleged breach but has yet to confirm or deny its legitimacy.

A sampling of the data obtained by Motherboard contained usernames, hashed passwords (MD5 algorithm), birth dates and in some cases, a backup e-mail address. According to Peace, the data was likely sourced around 2012. The hacker claims to have traded the data privately for some time but just recently decided to sell it publicly.

The publication said most of the two dozen accounts it tested did correspond to actual Yahoo accounts. When attempting to contact more than 100 of the addresses in the 5,000 sample set, many were returned as undeliverable which suggests the data is either outdated or partially invalid.

Curiously enough, Yahoo hasn’t issued a mandatory password reset, something that’s common when suspected breaches occur.

Image courtesy dennizn, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I've been using yahoo less and less and migrating to other email provider(s), but I from 2012? Well damn, guess I better check what is going where and update security as needed.

People still use Yahoo email? Last time I looked it was literally unusable. Giant video ads plastered all over the centre of the Inbox screen, ads in the sidebar, ads for junk celebrity news at the top, etc.

This is why I love password managers. Turns something like this from a fuss into nothing to worry about.

People still use Yahoo email? Last time I looked it was literally unusable. Giant video ads plastered all over the centre of the Inbox screen, ads in the sidebar, ads for junk celebrity news at the top, etc.
Exaggerate much? Just use any adblocker, like uBlock Origin, and it's like any other webpage or email service--totally ad free. Other than the need to block the ads, it's like my Gmail, Outlook, and Exchange email services I use too.

If anyone has a flickr account make sure to check. I have one and forgot it required a yahoo account to sign up.

Back