Yahoo launches Aviate, a homescreen personalization app for Android

Shawn Knight

Staff member

yahoo aviate android google smartphone homescreen android homescreen

Yahoo’s mobile portfolio got a bit more crowded on Monday with the introduction of Aviate, a homescreen personalization app for Android phones featuring a clean layout that automatically organizes your apps for you.

Yahoo Aviate is designed to simplify your phone and show you information based on what you’re doing – think along the lines of Google Now. For example, the app can display news and weather information in the morning as you prepare for work, productivity apps while on the job, music apps during your commute and perhaps even games or other leisure-based apps before bedtime.

yahoo aviate android google smartphone homescreen android homescreen

Elsewhere, you’ll find one-swipe access to daily habits like checking your alarm clock, calendar and weather. The app even pulls your most popular contacts into a “favorites” list which makes it easier to reach out to those people – simply swipe up to view the menu.

The app comes some five months after Yahoo purchased Aviate and put it into beta status. The Internet pioneer didn’t reveal how much it paid for the startup although sources close to the deal claimed it was valued at $80 million. Dropbox was rumored to be in the discussion as well which may explain why Yahoo paid so much for it.

Yahoo Aviate is available as of writing for Android phones in English. It joins a crowded field that includes similar apps like EasilyDo and EverythingMe, not to mention Google Now.

Permalink to story.

Maybe google should force its android oem partners to only install stock android and let individual customers to select manufacturer's 'home screen personalization' or from a rival, or nothing at all.
no more excuses for fragmentation.
no more 'lag'.

if the EU can force Microsoft for internet browser ballot, then perhaps it is time for 'forced' touchwiz, sense ui, and similar app to disappear.
what is good for the goose must also be good for the gander.

I may just check it out after it's received a few upgrades but in all honesty I still can't find any use for Google Now which is a bundled installation on my phone so I really can't see it being of much use to me.

Oh sure, complain about everything. Win 7 with Bing got trashed, Google is of no use, and Yahoo is for people that don't know any better.

Why don't you all join me in the last century, and stick to land line. I've never missed a smart phone, since I've never owned one.

There's no Starbuck's "app", for a wired phone, but you can buy a "Mr. Coffee" for about 20 bucks. It'll pay for itself halfway though the 2nd visit to Starbuck's. Wanna know the weather, put down the phone and look up.

Back