Yahoo's problems continue as it reportedly plans to lay off another 10% of its workforce

midian182

Staff member

Yahoo’s struggles look to be continuing, as reports indicate that company is planning to cut at least 10 percent of its 10,000-strong workforce as early as this month, sources told Business Insider.

The cuts come after Yahoo hired consultancy firm McKinsey & Co. to help decide which units to shutter. While the layoffs are expected to affect all parts of the company, Yahoo’s media business, european operations and platforms-technology group will likely be hit the hardest.

“A team is working on it and they want to do it this quarter,” one of Business Insider’s sources said of the layoffs. Yahoo hasn’t commented on the report, but it did say in an earlier statement that it would "share additional plans for a more focused Yahoo on or before" its fourth-quarter earnings call this month.

Yahoo shares have fallen 35 percent over the last year, and it has already reduced its employee numbers by 14 percent, down from 12,500 workers in 2014.

Yahoo brought in current CEO Marissa Mayer, formerly a Google executive, in July 2012 to try and turn around the company that once provided a huge number of popular internet services before the arrival of Google, Facebook and co. But despite the acquisition of Tumblr in 2013, activist investor Starboard Value LP says that Mayer’s turnaround isn’t working and that Yahoo should spinoff or sell its core business.

Some of Yahoo's other investors have reportedly said that this reorganization doesn’t go far enough and that more cuts are needed. Whatever happens, the future isn't looking very bright for the company that was the Google of its day.

Permalink to story.

I feel for the employees that get laid off but I'm afraid it looks like Meyer is flogging a dead horse, she'll be next to be shown the door... resign rather, with a fabulous golden handshake. Shareholders and investors tend to get nasty when they don't see a huge return on their investment.

Yahoo has become littered with enough ads where it's annoying to look at and use. I'll be switching the last of my yahoo emails over soon enough.

I've already tried other email services, but either they give small attachment storage, block emails, or I have to go an extra mile to set them up.

But I ended up going back to yahoo again. I use uBlock Origin, so ads aren't a problem. Outlook would randomly block emails no matter what I did and MS was worthless. Google has smaller storage. Yandex, which I was going to try, is Russian based and I don't feel like dealing with any problems that may pose.

To me it seems like more people are hopping on a bandwagon than they do actually hate the service. But oh well...

Yahoo has been a trashy site for years with trashy articles and trashy young writers trying to turn their pussified opinions into facts.

DIE YAHOO. DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH.

Their search sucks. It is the default in firfox. Last night I did a search in linux and was returned mumble jumbo pitooey. The same search at google got me what I needed.

I've already tried other email services, but either they give small attachment storage, block emails, or I have to go an extra mile to set them up.

But I ended up going back to yahoo again. I use uBlock Origin, so ads aren't a problem. Outlook would randomly block emails no matter what I did and MS was worthless. Google has smaller storage. Yandex, which I was going to try, is Russian based and I don't feel like dealing with any problems that may pose.

To me it seems like more people are hopping on a bandwagon than they do actually hate the service. But oh well...
storage? google gives me 15GB...plus who stores things in email when we have dropbox, onedrive, and tens of other cloud storage services?

storage? google gives me 15GB...plus who stores things in email when we have dropbox, onedrive, and tens of other cloud storage services?
And Yahoo gives 1TB. Keep in mind the actual email, regardless of attachments, takes up space; even though that space may be very insignificant. I'm a person who likes an excessive feature over another non-excessive one, because why not? This is why I went with Outlook (to find out it's crap), and considered GWX, Yandex, and AOL. Since GWX, Yahoo, and AOL are so similar, I just stayed with what I know.

On an unrelated note to others, saying the company should go under because of their poor articles and mediocre search engine is asinine. Both of those are subjective, so it's not like they've done something wrong. I can't stand their articles, community, and hate their search engine, but others I'm sure do love it all.

The only thing associated with yahoo I use is their email, tied to my old sbcglobal account when
I had DSL. other than mail.yahoo.com, never go to their site.
Gopher, yahoo, dogpile, netscape...at one point or another used them all.
Other than duckduckgo or google, that's about it these days.

Back