You Can Activate Windows 10 With a Windows 7/8/8.1 Key: Heres How

PalD2

This probably won't work by the end of the year, so make sure to do this quickly if you want the free upgrade!

Recently, I have been stockpiling older computers, many of which have windows 7 keys. Windows 7 takes a long time to install, (the base OS doesn't take too long to install, but the security updates take hours, which usually becomes split between multiple days. However, after hearing rumors that windows 10 could be activated with a Windows 7 key, I decided to try it out. It does work, but it's a little different than using a Windows 10 key.

Important notes:
  • This guide is for oem/retail keys. Upgrade keys use a differ, but I haven't tried using them. If you're using an oem key, make sure that you don't use the key with oem in it.
  • Many igpus of the Windows 7 era (and some older graphics cards) don't have windows 10 drivers (most notably the intel gma series). Check to make sure your graphics has compatible drivers

Step 1: Find Your Windows Key
product-key-sticker-windows-7-56a6fa375f9b58b7d0e5ce9a.jpg

If you have a windows sticker on your laptop/desktop like the one pictured above, you already have your Windows key.

However, if you don't know your Windows key, go into

control panel>review your system's status>system
If your key is made of 25 digits split into 5 sections, you're in the clear. However, if your key contains OEM in it, then you need to find the real key.

In order to find OEM keys, you can copy & paste this command into a plain text document and save it as Keyfinder.vbs. When you run it, it will show you your REAL windows key in a pop-up box.
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
KeyPath = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"
MsgBox ExtractKey(WshShell.RegRead(KeyPath))
Function ExtractKey(KeyInput)
Const KeyOffset = 52
I = 28
CharWhitelist = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = KeyInput(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
KeyInput(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
I = I -1
KeyOutput = Mid(CharWhitelist, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - I) Mod 6) = 0) And (I <> -1) Then
I = I -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While I >= 0
ExtractKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Step 2: Backup Any Important Data
s0404080_sc7

Make sure that you save any important files or pictures to an external source, (hard drive, flash drive, dvd, ect.). The later steps involve formatting the hard drive which will erase your hard drive, so don't skip this step if you have files that you can't replace.

Step 3: Download the Windows 10 Installer
windows10boxart.0.0.jpg

Go to the Microsoft website, download the windows 10 iso, and follow the instructions or find a video guide on youtube.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Step 4: Install Windows 10
2000px-Windows_10_Logo.svg.png

When you install Windows 10, the process with be the same execpt for one part. When it asks for a Windows 10 key, click on 'I don't have a key', and the installation process will continue. When Windows has finished installing, go into Start > Settings app > Update and Security. There will be a section called 'Activation'. Click on it and 'Change Product Key'. Insert your Windows 7/8/8.1 key here and you're good to go.

This guide was made to help people, and I went as in-depth as I had the time for. If I missed anything or if somethings unclear, then feel free to ask questions/give suggestions.

Last edited:
This will come to an end by the first of 2018.

https://www.techspot.com/community/...logy-users-will-end-this.242044/#post-1645803
While Microsoft officially ended its aggressive Windows 10 upgrade program on July 29 this year, there is still a 'loophole' open for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users to move to the latest OS. But on December 31, that’s also being shut down.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/323...-assistive-technologies-ends-december-31.html
Microsoft gave Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users an entire year after the launch of Windows 10 (until July 31, 2016) to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. But there was one exception: those who used assistive technology, such as screen readers, got an indefinite extension.

According to a Microsoft support page, the deadline for those users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free expires by the end of the year, as noted by Slashgear.

https://www.slashgear.com/free-windows-10-upgrades-end-this-year-31506127/
At one point in time, Microsoft was criticized for being too aggressive and too desperate to get users on Windows 10 immediately. It seems that the desperation has died down and Microsoft is confident enough in the numbers to close the doors on those who still refuse to go from 7 or 8 to 10. Microsoft has just made it clear that its abused extension of free upgrades to Windows 10 is going to end December 31 this year, giving users about 2 months to make up their minds.

Technically speaking, the free Windows 10 upgrade ended in July last year. It made, however, one interesting exception. Those who were using assistive features of older Windows versions can still upgrade for free beyond that point.

Hi! Here's a thought for all you windows 10 haters. Do the free upgrade. Create a system image with a 3rd party image program. Revert back to your old OS if you don't like W10. Now you have a image of W10 that you can restore with latter. What's wrong with that suggestion?
This will save you a 100+$. I guess you can be stubborn and you'll still be supported for a few more years. That's your decision. I have made my decision. I have a back up image of W7. I have four of them.

Back