You can help fight the coronavirus by playing this game

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Being able to stop the spread of the coronavirus has become a top priority, and a team of researchers from the University of Washington in Seattle is hoping a video game could be part of the solution.

As reported by Kotaku, the game, called Foldit, is a free puzzler that was released back in 2008. It involves players folding proteins to understand their structures, which is “key to understanding how [a protein] works and to targeting it with drugs.”

Foldit was recently updated with a new puzzle based on the coronavirus. “Coronaviruses display a ‘spike’ protein on their surface, which binds tightly to a receptor protein found on the surface of human cells,” reads the game’s description. “In recent weeks, researchers have determined the structure of the 2019 coronavirus spike protein and how it binds to human receptors. If we can design a protein that binds to this coronavirus spike protein, it could be used to block the interaction with human cells and halt infection!”

The creators say the hundreds of thousands of players are equal to or better than a computer when it comes to “folding long chains of amino acids into compact three-dimensional shapes.” The most promising ideas to come from the game will be tested and possibly manufactured by the university's Institute for Protein Design in Seattle.

"We do want to emphasize that, like all the research we do, laboratory testing takes time to see if these molecules are safe and effective against coronavirus," said Foldit scientist Brian Koepnick.

If you want to help researchers discover new antiviral drugs that might stop the coronavirus, just head here and download Foldit.

Permalink to story.

Oh, don't you know the "military" types from around the world would like for some kid in their parents basement to accidentally come up with some new super bug.

Or better yet, don't go out and infect everyone if you have it.
Cant do. I dont wanna die alone.
I think if there was a zombie virus outbreak and I got infected,
I d make sure to go to the place with lots of refugees to turn there.

Back