You know nothing, Sony: Xperia XZ coming to US for an expensive $699

Scorpus

Staff member

Sony doesn't seem to understand the current smartphone market. The company's new Xperia XZ flagship will be hitting the United States on October 2nd for a whopping $699, which is a hefty price to pay considering stiff competition at the high end.

To put this in perspective, the Xperia XZ will be at least $100 more expensive than most other Android flagships on the market, such as the HTC 10 ($590), Galaxy S7 Edge ($610) and even Sony's other high-end phone, the Xperia X Performance ($580). The price seems even more ridiculous up against excellent cheaper options like the OnePlus 3 ($400) and Huawei P9 ($460).

In any case, the Xperia XZ will be hitting the United States with a Snapdragon 820 inside, a 5.2-inch 1080p display, and an updated 23-megapixel camera system with faster autofocus. Oddly, the US variant of the Xperia XZ will not include a fingerprint scanner.

Sony has also announced pricing for the Xperia X Compact, which is the company's 4.6-inch variant of the Xperia X. Available starting September 25th, the Xperia X Compact will set you back $499, which again seems slightly too expensive for the hardware you're getting. Like with the Xperia XZ, the X Compact will be available through Amazon, Best Buy, and a collection of other retailers.

Permalink to story.

That's not a high-end device, it's premium. And what's even more absurd is that it's only got a 1080p display for that price tag.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly vocal about the minimal gains of a 1440p screen over 1080p in the mobile device market, but they are still gains at the end of the day and if you have the money then spend it on what you want, but at this price you should get a 1440p screen!

Sony, the new apple?, overpriced low performance?
Everyone's becoming the new Apple, some even worse. Good thing is that you still have mid-range phones or older flagships which are similar to the new flagships.

Everyone already became the new Apple... that is why all we have now is touchscreen phones. I miss the days of slide out physical keyboards. Everyone went form over function, and it sucks.

I had a Xperia Z1 awhile back and it was a nice phone with an excellent camera. Their newer phones seem to be losing that leading edge philosophy.

Anyway I just want a water resistant Motorola Droid 5 with the same slide out keyboard they had on the Droid 4, along with wireless charging and 1080p screen. Is that too much to ask?

Sony, the new apple?, overpriced low performance?
It sure seems like they're trying to emulate Apple in pricing but with millions of different Android devices available, plenty with similar specs but at half the price, why choose a Sony? If you want an Apple gadget, then they've got you by the short and curlies.

That's not a high-end device, it's premium. And what's even more absurd is that it's only got a 1080p display for that price tag.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly vocal about the minimal gains of a 1440p screen over 1080p in the mobile device market, but they are still gains at the end of the day and if you have the money then spend it on what you want, but at this price you should get a 1440p screen!

I'm going to give Sony the benefit of the doubt that they're not completely crazy. My guess is that there's a very nice camera in this phone. Sony has a lot of experience making cameras and if they wanted to set themselves apart with a $700 phone, that's how they'd do it I'd guess.

Is it even possible for a camera to demand a $100 premium though? Probably not.

Damn why do they have to get 1000% profit, sell it for 300$ and they still would make profit. Unless it's made in japan child labor free, then I will gladly pay premium.

Back