You may not be able to overclock the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

jsilva

Rumor mill: Like most people, we assumed the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU would support overclocking. However, that might not be the case as a recent report claims the chip manufacturer asked motherboard vendors to remove the overclocking options from the BIOS/UEFI.

The information was first posted by a user on the Chinese social media platform Bilibili and then shared on Twitter. In the original post, the forum user also shared the first picture of the processor, which has the OPN and QR codes blurred out to prevent AMD from finding the leaker.

Soon after the first report was shared, the team at TechPowerUp asked its sources if they could confirm the rumor, which they did. As it seems, the chip manufacturer asked motherboard vendors to remove overclocking options for Vermeer-X CPUs (Ryzen 7 5800X3D) from the UEFI/BIOS in late January. For now, only AMD knows the reason behind the removal of this feature.

When asking motherboard makers to remove overclocking support for the processor, the company sent the following message: "5800X3D 8C16T 100-xxxxxxxxx 105 W AGESA: PI 1206b 1/28 Please hide Vermeer-X CPU OC BIOS SETUP options."

Reading the message doesn't give us any specifics to justify AMD's decision, but it still left us wondering a few things. For example, AMD asked motherboard vendors to remove the overclocking options on systems running the Agesa 1.2.0.6 B, meaning it could add them back in a future release. If that's the case, the problem would be in the firmware and not the hardware.

Another plausible reason to remove the feature would be an issue between the 3D V-Cache and overclocking/high operating frequencies. This possibility would also explain why AMD decided to reduce both base and boost clock frequencies of the upcoming processor compared with the Ryzen 7 5800X.

Permalink to story.

Ryzens do not have a lot of headroom for overclocking as it is. Apparently, the added cache alters what AMD believes is the maximum clock speed, which is what they set it at when shipped.. I personally don't see this as a problem as none of my shops customers currently ask about overclocking. I suspect that OC will not be a big issue, except for enthusiasts, which are a small percentage of computer users. They'll likely buy something else if overclocking is important to them.

Ryzens do not have a lot of headroom for overclocking as it is. Apparently, the added cache alters what AMD believes is the maximum clock speed, which is what they set it at when shipped.. I personally don't see this as a problem as none of my shops customers currently ask about overclocking. I suspect that OC will not be a big issue, except for enthusiasts, which are a small percentage of computer users. They'll likely buy something else if overclocking is important to them.

Agreed there isn't much to overclock on Ryzen and doing all core overclocks just reduce single core performance. I just set PBO2 on and forget about it. The days of excessive tweaking and overclocking are semi over with the new silicon and what Intel and AMD are doing with boost frequencies etc.

This will no doubt be a very big deal to some but for most people, you really don't need to overclock Ryzen CPUs for a couple years now: AMD has done a good job of them just clocking up to whatever your power and thermal limits would allow anyway with any additional gains being mostly for enthusiast overclockers and not very practical performance gains.

But hey you have our permission to mark it as a reason for intel fans to say "Ha! Alder Lake just keeps winning!" and not consider the 5800X3D, I don't mind the implications because we all know it's a stop-gap solution that will be extremely unpopular and mostly just a marketing vehicle for AMD to make performance claims and start testing for the next Ryzen iteration.

$450 is absurd. That makes it about $100 more expensive than an i7 12700K. This thing is going to need to be at least 5-10% faster than a 5800X to match a 12700K in games. And then it’s still going to cost $100 more. It’s also worth noting that the 12700K gets about a 10% boost when overclocked. On top of this the clock speeds are gimped on this 5800X3D.

That cache needs to do one hell of a job to make this product not a complete waste of money.

Also, I find it amusing how several reviewers told people to hold back on Alder lake when they reviewed it until we see AMDs 3D cache parts. Well, we have one on the horizon now and it costs more than a 12600K and motherboard combined..

While I hope AMD isn't doing an Intel, my experience has found Ryzen's to be unstable when overclocked, even when it's just a little bit.

Not surprised but I don't think it's that big of a deal. AMD basically runs their chips as fast as they can anyway and the performance bump from the extra cache might match or exceed performance from overclocking

All I was able to get out of my 5600X was stock performance but with lower voltages/consumption
Still this is no excuse to lock this chip, if it will be locked that will be one more reason to skip and wait for next gen (or buy the affordable 5600(X) if you are on something lower and need an upgrade)

Honestly I regard OCing as almost pointless on the latest CPU's. Memory is different, tweaking that is worthwhile. I wouldn't even bother with Alder Lake either given the huge power increase. These are plenty fast enough at stock clocks.

WTF are AMD doing at the moment.
Theyre behaving like Intel were when Intel were completely dominant. At a time AMD is in its weakest position for a while.
The stupidity defies belief.
And its not to do with practicality, but rather image and actions.
This, along with them getting rip of Thread Ripper is a worrying trend.
They can't afford to lose markets hate and the enthusiast market and tech in general suffers when there's no competition.

WTF are AMD doing at the moment.
Theyre behaving like Intel were when Intel were completely dominant. At a time AMD is in its weakest position for a while.
The stupidity defies belief.
And its not to do with practicality, but rather image and actions.
This, along with them getting rip of Thread Ripper is a worrying trend.
They can't afford to lose markets hate and the enthusiast market and tech in general suffers when there's no competition.

It's typical AMD behavior. For decades, every time AMD gets into a position of leadership, their feet get happy and their butt hits the ground. The problem is in my opinion, there are much smaller revenue company than Intel and don't have the war chest to fall back on when they make stupid moves. I'm hoping this time around will be different, they did recently acquire xilinx, and epyc has made great inroads in the server market.

Wow, didn't know this CPU was planned. Would be geat to use linux as main and windows for gaming on VM with GPU pass-through.
Lack of OC options doesn't matter for me, I havent OC my cpus for ages.

Wow, didn't know this CPU was planned. Would be geat to use linux as main and windows for gaming on VM with GPU pass-through.
Lack of OC options doesn't matter for me, I havent OC my cpus for ages.

Why not dual boot, surely games will run better on native win 11 install than using VM or does VM have no penalty anymore?

Why not dual boot, surely games will run better on native win 11 install than using VM or does VM have no penalty anymore?
That what I would do before learned about gpu passthrough. With this, penalty is nearly non - existing, overall it is like 1-3% of the performance, so you can use OS as usualy and play games with KVM. You might check this video:
and probably many other.
The only downside is you want to have 2 gpu on your system, one for the host OS (linux), 2nd one for virtualised OS (windows) as the whole GPU is assigned to a virtualised OS.
It is possible to use headless host system which will not have a GPU but that kinda not so straight forward. So that's why CPU with integrated GPU is interesting, especially this CPU is is very good - much better than 5600g.

It's typical AMD behavior. For decades, every time AMD gets into a position of leadership, their feet get happy and their butt hits the ground. The problem is in my opinion, there are much smaller revenue company than Intel and don't have the war chest to fall back on when they make stupid moves. I'm hoping this time around will be different, they did recently acquire xilinx, and epyc has made great inroads in the server market.
For decades? What decades? AMD has been in a position of leadership a grand total of twice. I've been building PCs since 1988 and I've only seen them lead with the Athlon 64 and Ryzen. So, every time means "twice and for a relatively short time".

Last edited:
Back