1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube Kids generates a fraction of the traffic of the main site

By Shawn Knight · 7 replies
Jun 18, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. YouTube Kids, the youth-focused version of Google’s video sharing platform with a slant towards kid-friendly content, has spent more than four years creating a safe haven for younger viewers. Through its curated selection of content, parental controls and improved recommendation engine, YouTube has invested heavily in making YouTube Kids a place that offers parents peace of mind.

The problem, it seems, is that not many people are convinced.

A spokesperson for YouTube Kids told Bloomberg that more than 20 million people utilize the platform each week. That may sound like a lot but in comparison, the main YouTube app boasts more than two billion monthly users.

Despite facing heavy criticism regarding toxic videos and backlash regarding how it handles the matter, YouTube isn’t being forced to make any immediate changes. According to Insight Strategy Group, a full 97 percent of children have used YouTube with kids between the ages of five and 12 reporting they spend more time on YouTube than anywhere else online.

Masthead credit: YouTube Kids by Myndalion

Permalink to story.

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,198   +1,625

Yup, I'm not convinced either. I don't let my kid watch YouTube (even using the YouTube Kids app) He will start off with something like Blippi or Peppa Pig but eventually ends ups with some weird CGI stuff in a different language.

ghostf1re, Wessell Urdata and Capaill like this.
  3. Raytrace3D

Raytrace3D TS Addict Posts: 110   +108

Yeah, YouTube kids is pretty terrible. I don't let my son watch it because all to often you start out watching something okay, then it'll start playing something totally inappropriate or not part of the channel selection we've setup. Thankfully my son is good enough to tell me. One of the reasons why I have a local media server instead. Makes me wonder if any of the developers at YouTube actually have kids (or have any kind of morale filter).

4. Wessell Urdata

Wessell Urdata TS Booster Posts: 51   +90

*flashback to Toys in Japan*

stewi0001 likes this.
  5. mrtraver

mrtraver TS Evangelist Posts: 426   +135

I've never understood why there is no YouTube Kids website. My kids don't have phones so we have never tried TY Kids, but they want to access YouTube from my PC all the time.

6. McMurdeR

McMurdeR TS Addict Posts: 144   +115

There's still a lot of creepy content on YT kids. Amature cgi videos or weird adults playing with toys, much of it clearly never been vetted by a human. It's kind of unsettling.

7. ghostf1re

ghostf1re TS Guru Posts: 414   +265

I hate it too and also don't let me kid use it. The problem is I'm divorced and my ***** ex just lets him watch things on it without monitoring him. There's a lot of weird stuff on that app and I just don't like it.

stewi0001 likes this.
  8. Danny101

Danny101 TS Guru Posts: 770   +293

No part of YouTube is safe for kids.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...