YouTube launches ads that you can skip

Emil

Staff

YouTube has officially launched its new TrueView ad format, which lets users skip ads they're not interested in. TrueView is currently only available to advertisers with managed accounts, so the format isn't all that widespread on YouTube just yet.

There's a catch though: the user has to play the ad for five seconds before they can hit the countdown button to skip the ad. We think such a wait time will be just as frustrating to YouTube users as the current format. Five seconds is just too long. In some cases, viewers will be able to select which ad to watch out of three options (similar to what Hulu provides).

Advertisers can decide whether they'd like to use TrueView or stick with the current platform (you can skip those ads by simply hitting refresh though). YouTube says it's working on providing more choice and control in advertising to its users.

"Advertising is what allows many of YouTube's most creative video producers to keep producing their great material - it directly funds their creative process," a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement. "And advertising is evolving. Increasingly, we're seeing the distinction between advertisements and 'regular videos' blurring as advertisers start to make ads viewers want to watch. We think that giving viewers a choice of which ads they want to watch means it's even more likely that they'll be engaged with the ad, and that advertisers will get their messages across to the right person."

Permalink to story.

I guess not much of a surprise considering YouTube has lost money for years. It was only a matter of time before they were going to fit advertising in somehow.

Sounds like great news...We obviously love ads so much now that we can watch slideshows of them.

I'm personally looking forward to the Ad channel, where you can just sit and watch hours and hours of "Sale now on", "Get more with..." and ever more shite "catchy" slogans all on one tv channel.

I'de love that channel, i really would....

(Maybe sarcasm overload)

lawfer said:
I can't take it! Too...much...sarcasm...!

Oops, sorry, i forgot to add the sarcasm overload tag....It shall be fixed.

Benny26 said:
Sounds like great news...We obviously love ads so much now that we can watch slideshows of them.

I'm personally looking forward to the Ad channel, where you can just sit and watch hours and hours of "Sale now on", "Get more with..." and ever more shite "catchy" slogans all on one tv channel.

I'de love that channel, i really would....

I can't take it! Too...much...sarcasm...!

TomSEA said:
I guess not much of a surprise considering YouTube has lost money for years. It was only a matter of time before they were going to fit advertising in somehow.

Um...advertising has been on YouTube for quite a while now. It's nothing new. They're just changing the format.

That's strange because I watch youtube videos all the time and have never had an ad as far back as I can remember.
No ads, the video just starts. Am I missing something?

About time I hate adverts, I only watch a little bit of TV but I have more than enough of seeing adverts on there.

And Techspot that user above me has posted the same rubbish comment on a couple of articles I've been on, time to block I think =P

Back