YouTube removes 70,000+ videos and 9,000 channels over content relating to Ukraine war

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Despite YouTube being one of the few Western platforms not to have been shut down in Russia, the site has removed more than 70,000 videos and 9,000 channels related to the war in Ukraine, often due to the invasion being referred to as a "liberation mission."

The Guardian reports that YouTube has removed thousands of pro-Kremlin and Russian state media channels for violating its guidelines relating to the Ukraine conflict. The content goes against the company's major violent events policy, which applies to the denial of events such as the Holocaust and Sandy Hook.

Google suspended all advertising in Russia, including on YouTube, following the invasion. It also refused to remove content relating to the war that Russia deemed illegal, which led to Google News being banned in the country. However, YouTube, which has 90 million users in Russia, remains untouched.

"YouTube remains the largest video-sharing site up and running in Russia itself," YouTube's chief product officer, Neal Mohan, told The Guardian. "So YouTube is a place where Russian citizens can get uncensored information about the war, including from many of the same authoritative channels that we all have access to outside of the country. We remain an important platform for Russian citizens themselves as this crisis continues to evolve."

Mohan added that YouTube's news content on the war had received more than 40 million views in Ukraine alone.

"The consumption of authoritative channels on our platform has grown significantly, of course in Ukraine, but also in countries surrounding Ukraine, Poland, and also within Russia itself."

Last week, the Russian subsidiary of Google said it would file for bankruptcy after authorities seized its bank account, leaving the company unable to meet financial obligations, including paying staff, suppliers, and vendors.

Russia fined Google 7.2 billion roubles, around $98 million, in December for failing to remove content authorities deemed illegal. More recently, a Russian TV channel owned by a sanctioned billionaire claimed authorities seized 1 billion roubles (about $15 million) from Google in April for failing to restore access to its YouTube account.

Permalink to story.

The Elites have been doing this for many, many years. They manipulate and put spin on everything to benefit their agenda. Only now are they being exposed.

Almost everything you take as Truth has been tampered with. This is the core message of Orwell's 1984.

And, I might add, it's also the core of Jesus' message.The 'adversary' is the father of lies. His followers have the same 'lusts'. So whenever you find widespread suppression of open discussion, you know the devil is in control.

Most of the Russian media is pro-Russian. Russians are a very intelligent people. They follow the daily government military reports. They see first hand how the entire West has gone on an anti-Russian hate fest. They then see that Youtube flat out censors their own government's position. It doesn't take much brains to see who they'll believe. So Youtube has shot itself in the crotch.

This should have been done a long time ago. The "liberation" garbage never took anywhere except in Russia to a point, and let's face it, factual information isn't exactly their strong point.

There is no reason for Youtube to allow Putin's (GFY) propaganda to pollute their space.

Russia deserves to be cancelled. Ukraine is well on their way to doing that, but until then this is Youtubes way of helping.

The Elites have been doing this for many, many years. They manipulate and put spin on everything to benefit their agenda. Only now are they being exposed.

Almost everything you take as Truth has been tampered with. This is the core message of Orwell's 1984.

And, I might add, it's also the core of Jesus' message.The 'adversary' is the father of lies. His followers have the same 'lusts'. So whenever you find widespread suppression of open discussion, you know the devil is in control.
It`s hilarious how Russians, like yourself I assume, have reversed Orwell, when his books were clearly about the Soviet Union and the abhorrent system that still thrives there. Your public, nonetheless, is people that have never read any of his books.

I certainly don't approve of them removing these video's but I think it would be helpful to ALL viewers if they marked their sources so the viewer could understand the level of propaganda involved. It would also help viewers understand and spot fake video's in the future. Youtube missed an excellent teaching moment that everyone would benefit from ..... tsk tsk tsk tsk .....

I certainly don't approve of them removing these video's but I think it would be helpful to ALL viewers if they marked their sources so the viewer could understand the level of propaganda involved. It would also help viewers understand and spot fake video's in the future. Youtube missed an excellent teaching moment that everyone would benefit from ..... tsk tsk tsk tsk .....
(y) (Y) That is really a great idea. Wish I had thought of it. :cool:

It`s hilarious how Russians, like yourself I assume, have reversed Orwell, when his books were clearly about the Soviet Union and the abhorrent system that still thrives there. Your public, nonetheless, is people that have never read any of his books.
Please elighten is on how someone opposed to censorship is obviously a Russian.

Well, first, emmzo didn't say a thing about censorship. His comments were of Russian's system that for example does not censor books so much as just prohibits them.

And when a system such as Russia's takes their propaganda to any Democracy, that Democracy has every right to push it out. You complain about "censorship" and completely ignore the poison that prompted the situation in the first place.

In 2003 USA called its invasion: Freedom for Irak. The same crap with different color.

The differnce, Geralt, is that a large percentage of people in the US and probably a majority in Europe, agreed with your sentiments about Iraq, and indeed were free to do so and talk about it without the threat of prison time. Even state controlled media were very hard on Bush and Blair.

What we're seeing now is not equivalent.

Sry, context, I've been following this guy's posts and he makes this kind of comments only towards the West, constantly arguing with sophisms. Orwell books were all about Russia. But calling the West Orwellian is a beloved theme on Russian state TV, so that's why I assumed he's Russian.

The videos I'd like to see removed, at least from my viewing recommendations, are the screen captures from the Arma video game that are then sold as being "Ukraine News".

They must be getting a lot of views because they are all over my YouTube home page.

The videos I'd like to see removed, at least from my viewing recommendations, are the screen captures from the Arma video game that are then sold as being "Ukraine News".

They must be getting a lot of views because they are all over my YouTube home page.

watch some right wing propaganda out of interest then google tries to give me anti-women or racist crap - I just use - don't show me this channel again -seems to hold of other like channels as well .
Any channel with a computer voice - also blocked - can't stand them .

There is no free media in Russia - Putin's latest speech as probably a lead up to more crack downs - all about traitorous scum .

YT does not have to pander to war criminals in the rights of freeze peach . Nor should rabbit hole crazies get equal time in debates to prove flat earth , that autistic babies know they will get MMR vax in a couple of years - so already will develop autism as cause and effect is independent of times arrow .
The problem isn't right vs left - it's extremist vs moderates -reading some comments on sites is full of Russian Trolls - and lots of hateful toxic people .
I espouse right wing things like the individual responsibility , being aspirational etc - but would not go near most left or right wing platforms - full of nasty petty people.
As for this conflict most people have already made up their minds or don't care - so Russian propaganda is just feeling the Tankies .
Russia has lost the propaganda war - does help - that they are doing their usual mass denial - what ever we did the British did it all in Bucha , Ukraine is flattening it's own cities .
So why would you bother to sift through these videos to find some truth.
Ukraine is most likely getting a free-pass on some things - but they will come under scrutiny eventually
As for the accuracies of reporting the Ukrainian numbers seem fairly accurate to other sources ( including internal Russia sources ) . Russia has destroy all of Ukraine's armour 5x over

This should have been done a long time ago. The "liberation" garbage never took anywhere except in Russia to a point, and let's face it, factual information isn't exactly their strong point.

There is no reason for Youtube to allow Putin's (GFY) propaganda to pollute their space.

Russia deserves to be cancelled. Ukraine is well on their way to doing that, but until then this is Youtubes way of helping.
Do you think Ukraine is any different? Zelensky has jailed political opponents and banned media sources that either criticize him and / or don't push his agenda.

Jailed? Who?

https://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-ukraine-russian-journalist-20180517-story.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...parties-Ukraine-Kremlin-collusion-claims.html

https://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-ukraine-russian-journalist-20180517-story.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...parties-Ukraine-Kremlin-collusion-claims.html

You misunderstood me. Who got nailed that didn't deserve to be arrested?
Traitors are always arrested. Anywhere.

You misunderstood me. Who got nailed that didn't deserve to be arrested?
Traitors are always arrested. Anywhere.
Define 'traitor'. In the RUB countries (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus) a traitor is anyone who doesn't tow the current government's line.

Define 'traitor'. In the RUB countries (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus) a traitor is anyone who doesn't tow the current government's line.
He is Putin's right hand man in Ukraine for decades advocating for federalization and splitting Ukraine apart. Putin is the Godfather of his kid. They spent holidays together. What more do you want? Ofc, people like you will say " this proves nothing". Lol

Back