ZFS vs. BTRFS: Safest Choice for Dummies?

nicole

After I finally decide which cloud storage service to subscribe to for my ~ 6TB of precious data (any suggested vendors ???), as a NAS newbie (dummy? Okay, I know what RAID mirroring is and the very basics of parity bit checking using ECC memory but that’s about it), I'm torn between have a local IT guy build me a btrfs or zfs RAID redundant NAS.

If the NAS can playback a ripped DVD movie saved to an uncompressed MKV or ISO file without any latency "hiccups", read/write speed means nothing compared to data protection against bit rot. Therefore, most of what I've read (and can comprehend via my totally non-Linux newbie brain) says ZFS offers substantially better protection than btrfs.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,124563.0.html

But what scares me towards btrfs is that Synology's market presence seems far greater than QNap's. Perhaps that's to be expected as Synology's a US-based brand. However, in any case, it's bizarre that ZFS did not become the standard for home and small business NAS users who care about their data.

Furthermore, it looks like the only other ZFS brand alternative to QNap is TrueNAS. But unless my IT guy would 1.) agree to build my NAS with it and 2.) configure and set the NAS up with it for dummies like me not to accidentally “break”, then what else ends up being the most practical and safest alternative?

Last edited:
Back