Zonealarm messages re various temp files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regularly (maybe once or twice a day, some days not at all) get messages from zonealarm about varous tmp files that are trying to run on my machine in the background like this
"SL7036.tmp was trying to launch C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe, or use another program to gain access to privileged resources"

usually the prgram properties shows unknown publisher and shows file created 3:00 GMT that day or the day before.

in the past I used to allow these to run but for the past month or so I have denied them to run - with no noted impact one way or the other.

i have tried to do a search for the file name eg. "SL7036.tmp" for these thinking that if it was part of a windows update or patch for a popular program that it would show up somewhere - but that usually returns nothing.

Does anyone know what these files are? why does the publisher name not show up in the properties?

zonealarm also seems regularly (100 or more times per day) block attempts by Nortaon Antivirus to change zonealarm files but it doesnt alert me about that. i dont think that is related becuase it happens hundreds of time a day while this only happens once or a few times a day.and some days not at all.

anyone encountered this problem before? should I be letting these files run?

thanks for your help,

Peter

it's Windows Update trying to update the .NET Framework. You probably need to either uninstall/reinstall the .NET Framework or do a repair install.

I would check windows update and get all the updates it has - keep doing this untill it says no updates found - you may have to restart a few times while installing, but keep going back until no updates found

================================================
Also - I suggest you clean your temp files up before doing this

ATF.gif
ATF Cleaner by Atribune

• Please download ATF Cleaner to your desktop from HERE
  • Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it. Vista users: Right Click and Select Run as Administrator

• Under Main choose:
    Windows Temp
    Current User Temp
    All Users Temp
    Cookies
    Temporary Internet Files
    Prefetch
    Java Cache

*The other boxes are optional*
    Then click the Empty Selected button.

• Firefox or Opera installed:
    Click Firefox or Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back