Zotac announces new Zbox series with Blu-ray and USB 3.0

Matthew DeCarlo

Zotac today announced the "world's first" (that title never gets old eh?) mini-PC with a built-in Blu-ray drive. The new Zbox addresses a small hole in the company's previous offerings, which lack integrated Blu-ray, meaning you have to buy a separate reader for a more complete home entertainment package. The included optical drive can also burn DVDs and CDs, and it comes with a free copy of Cyberlink's commercial media player software.

The company is shipping two flavors of its new model, the HD-ID33 and HD-ID34. The first is more of a barebones machine that includes an Intel Atom D525, a 512MB Nvidia Ion, a 6-in-1 card reader, a mini-PCIe slot, USB 2.0, 3.0, eSATA, HDMI, and DVI ports, as well as wired and wireless network connectivity. All of those features are the same on the HD-ID34, except it also includes 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a 250GB HDD. Zotac is quiet on pricing and availability.

Permalink to story.

I like my Zotac ITX Motherboard, but I'm not immediately keen on the Atom D525 because of it being IOE. Regardless of that, it does look very nice and seems to have plenty of connectivity, so It may be something to consider keeping an eye on especially for those looking for a micro volume HTPC.

Until my needs change though, I'll stick with my mini-server that just so happens to output 1080p via HDMI. =o

Back