ZTE showcases Axon 7 Mini ahead of IFA 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

IFA 2016, Europe’s largest technology trade show, kicks off on Friday but that hasn’t stopped a number of companies from announcing new products ahead of the official start date. Chinese handset maker ZTE joins the fray with its Axon 7 Mini, a new variant of its flagship Axon 7 that arrived a few months back.

With a 5.2-inch display sporting a 1,920 x 1,080 resolution (423 PPI), the Axon 7 Mini is only slightly smaller than its 5.5-inch bigger brother. Powering the handset is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 617 octa-core SoC and 3GB of RAM alongside 32GB of flash storage (expandable via microSD card slot).

In comparison, the full-size Axon 7 includes a faster Snapdragon 820 chip, up to 6GB of RAM and as much as 128GB of local storage.

There’s a 16-megapixel camera on the back (down from 20-megapixels) and the same 8-megapixel shooter up front. Juice is supplied via a 2,750mAh battery which is a good bit smaller than the 3,250mAh unit in the larger Axon 7 and we’re told it’ll ship running Android Marshmallow out of the box (Android 7.0 Nougat is coming this fall, ZTE promises).

All of those concessions will be accounted for in the price, however. While the final cost has yet to be hammered out, ZTE expects it to check in at under $300 unlocked ($299.99 seems likely if I had to venture a guess). Look for the Axon 7 Mini to land in the US sometime next month.

Permalink to story.

I'm still rocking my ZTE Zmax (T-Mobile) but the Axon 7 or 7 Mini looks like a solid choice when it dies.

I hope ZTE gains more traction here in the US.
Definitely. I really wish ZTE will keep up this quality/price momentum. It seems to me some companies get lazy w/their designs/features when they grow too big. A 400$ price point premium phone going forward would benefit customers immensely.

Back