Windows Live Messenger makes it easier than ever to stay connected to the people you care about.
Favorites and groups
Put the people you chat with most at the top of your contacts, so you easily see when they’re online. Want to chat with several people in one window? Just set up a group.
Show off your personal style with custom scenes, animated display pictures, and signature sounds.
Look at photos together, right in the conversation window. And Messenger tells you when people you know post new photos on Windows Live.
Mobile and web
Using a public computer without Messenger? No problem! You can chat on the web from Windows Live Hotmail. Or, use Messenger on your mobile phone.
- Express yourself Add pictures or short videos of yourself that can change with your mood, let people know what music you’re listening to, and customize the scene in the conversation window.
- Get connected Instantly connect to the people who matter the most—via text, voice, or video.* Even if they’re offline, you can leave a message or send a note.
- Put your favorites on top Add the people you chat with the most to your list of favorites at the top of your contact list. As soon as they’re ready to chat, you’ll see their profile pictures light up.
- Keep up with what's new See what your contacts have been up to lately, automatically. The what’s new area gives you a glimpse of any new blogs or photos they’ve posted, new contacts they’ve added, and more.
- Send mobile text messages If someone you’re chatting with has to leave their computer, you can still use Messenger to send an SMS text message to their mobile phone.
Alternatively you can download the 8.5 version of this software.
Apps similar to Windows Live Messenger 5
Skype is free and simple software that will enable you to make free calls anywhere in the world in minutes.
Share photos instantly, send GIFs and even unsend messages. It’s the fastest way to keep in touch with friends.
Send files from your PC to mobile, Facebook and Google+ friends.