Calibre is an e-book library manager. It can view, convert and catalog e-books in most of the major e-book formats. It can also talk to many e-book reader devices. It can go out to the Internet and fetch metadata for your books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:
- Library Management
- E-book conversion
- Syncing to e-book reader devices
- Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
- Comprehensive e-book viewer
- Content server for online access to your book collection
Is Calibre an e-book reader?
No, Calibre is an e-book manager in which you can organize existing e-books into virtual libraries, displaying, editing, creating and converting e-books, as well as syncing e-books with a variety of e-readers.
Can I write an e-book with Calibre?
Yes. Calibre can turn your personal documents to e-books or create them from scratch. It has automatic style helpers and scripts generating the book's structure.
Which devices does Calibre support?
Calibre is compatible with almost any e-reader, phone or tablet, as well as Windows, Mac and Linux devices. You can transfer your e-books from one device to another in seconds. Calibre will send the best file format for your device, converting it if needed, automatically.
What formats does Calibre support conversion to/from?
Calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats such as:
- Input Formats: AZW, AZW3, AZW4, CBZ, CBR, CB7, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, FBZ, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ
- Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, DOCX, FB2, HTMLZ, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PMLZ, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ, ZIP.
Can Calibre read RSS feeds?
Yes, Calibre can deliver news to your device from hundreds of news sources or any RSS feed.
Does Calibre offer cloud storage for my library?
Calibre doesn't offer cloud storage, but it does integrate with most major cloud providers, including Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive. This way, you can set up your eBook library in the cloud and access the content from your phone or tablet.
- E-book viewer: When exporting highlights as plain text include titles from chapters at all levels not just the first level
- Edit book: Reports: Show the number of words per file in the Files section of the report
- Windows builds: sign DLLs in addition to EXEs to make Microsoft's new "Smart App Control" tool happy
- Sending by email: When adding comments also add series
- Nook driver: Put files in NOOK/Books instead of NOOK/My Files on recent nook devices so they are all listed in one place in the NOOK UI. Closes tickets: 1990730
- calibredb list: Allow using a template as one of the returned fields
- Tag browser: Add context menu action to turn on/off sub-categorization for a category
- Merging books: Fix title sort not being updated when the title is updated. Closes tickets: 1996802
- Content server viewer: Fix incorrect sorting of highlights in the same paragraph
- Content server viewer: When exporting highlights as text include chapter titles
- Improve rendering of the separator handle dots introduced in the previous release
- Edit book: Fix regression in previous release causing applying any container update marking all open image editors as modified
- Fix a regression in the previous release that caused copying book details to clipboard to use unix line endings on windows
Improved news sources
- The Globe and Mail
- Spectator Magazine
- The New York Times
- The Hindu
- MIT Technology Review