It is Free and Open Source Software, released under the LGPL, available for Windows and Linux. Minetest is developed by Perttu "celeron55" Ahola and a number of contributors.
Minetest is technically simple, stable and portable. It is lightweight enough to run on fairly old hardware. It currently runs playably on a laptop with Intel 945GM graphics. Though, as for the CPU, dualcore is recommended.
- Walk around, dig and build in an infinite voxel world (or boxel, as reddit calls it), and craft stuff from raw materials to help you along the way. We hope to add in some survival elements, but not much really exist ATM.
- Sinfully easy server-side modding API .
- Multiplayer support for tens of players, via servers hosted by users
- Voxel based dynamic lighting (quite similar to Minecraft; light up caves with torches)
- Almost infinite world and a fairly good map generator (limited to +-31000 blocks in all directions at the moment)
- Runs natively on Windows and Linux (C++ and Irrlicht. No Java.)
Extract the zip package somewhere. Run the executable found in the bin/ folder.
Note: Android version is in its early stages, so you can expect bugs.
- Add 2D sheet animations for nodes (sfan5)
- Drop client side chat prediction. No more messages shown to chat when you talk and you are disconnected. (red-001)
- Add particle animation, glow (sfan5)
- Server list: add ping indicators (kilbith)
- Server side occlusion culling (lhofhansl)
- New custom progress bar (you can customize it with texture packs) (kilbith)
- Implement delayed shutdown for server owners: /shutdown 60 => shutdowns in 1 min /shutdown -1 cancels it (nerzhul)
- Add support for requesting a reconnect and changing the shutdown message to /shutdown (red-001)
- Add a mapblock cache in MeshUpdateQueue to improve client rendering performance (celeron55)
- Player data can now be into database. This is an important change, players to files are always supported for this release but deprecated. Files backend for players will be removed in a future release. See http://wiki.minetest.net/Database_backends for compat matrix and migration steps. (nerzhul)
- Sounds: add fading sounds (Bremaweb, krock)
- Save automatically window size when modified. This behaviour can be disabled in client settings (nerzhul)
- Add cancel button to password change formspec (red-001)
- Improve pause menu with more user friendly informations and update keys dynamicly depending on your configuration (red-001)
- Merge singleplayer & server tab on desktop clients (octacian)
- Add /clearinv chat command (octacian)
- Add keyword-based search to server-list and advance settings (red-001, rubenwardy)
- Add hardware-based itemstacks and node coloring (juhdanad)
- Breath cheat is now definitively fixed. Hacked clients cannot ignore breath anymore. (nerzhul)
- Fix node damage cheat. They are now calculated server side. Hacked clients cannot ignore node damages anymore (fire, lava, cactus...). (nerzhul)
- Disallow dropping items while dead. (sfan5)
- Calculate maximum interact distance from wielded tool. (sfan5)
Bug fixes and Improvements
- Little antispam fix (nerzhul)
- Fix a little bit fog calculations (lhofhansl)
- Fix player deletion problem when too many objects are in a mapblock (nerzhul)
- Better block sending priorities to send map to players (???)
- Sneaking changes (krock, paramat, sfan5)
- Huge ABM handling code performance improvement (nerzhul)
- Smooth lighting for all nodes (numberZero)
- Added mesh generation delay (numberZero)
- PostgreSQL bugfix on blocks deletion (nerzhul)
- Windows integration enhancements (???)
- Wieldmesh natural orientation (kilbith)
- Memleak fix on client disconnection (nerzhul)
- Various performance fixes (???)
- Fix Windows icon (adrido)
- Fix various minor memleaks (nerzhul?)
- Recent LuaJIT fixes (nerzhul)
- Reduce network packet reading/writing memory usage (???)
- Binding tab now doesn't exit game when used (sofar)
- Light update for mapblocks (juhdanad)
- Client: reduce fake object reactions in client event queue (nerzhul)
- Crashfix when reading schematic calls from API in some cases (nerzhul)
- Limit sound volume when incorrect value was set into config (???)
- Fix Cursor lock problem when window is inactive (krock)
- Particles are now sent to client regarding distance (huge performance improvement on particle servers) (paramat)
- Really disable minimap when disabled in configuration (nerzhul)
- Fix a damage bug when falling from a very high height (red-001)
- Various documentation fixes (???)
- Expose singlenode mapgen to menu (nerzhul)
- Dropdown menu selection fix (red-001)
- Tooltip display unification between tooltip and list (krock)
- ServerActiveObjects are now removed when overtaking map limits (nerzhul, paramat)
- Chat console height can now be set by the player. (Shara RedCat)
- Additional option added to node highlighting drop-down. (Shara RedCat)
- Introducing Client-Side modding (CSM for the initiated). You can now have local mods to read various client data and handle different client events. This new modding step is very secure, you don't have access to all standard Lua API, just a subset, to protect your computers. Mods should be installed in @user_path@/clientmods.
- You will also have access to Client side commands, starting with a dot.
- If you want to know more about CSM API, please look at Client Side Modding documentation
- Added by nerzhul, red-001, bigfoot547, Dumbeldor and paly2.
- Enable mod_security by default
- Add minetest.player_exists() (rubenwardy)
- Add player attributes backend. This permits modders to store misc player related data to core and retrieve it after player loading. The attribute save is done by core. (nerzhul)
- Add mod metadata API permitting mods to have a standard way to write their own data. We recommend you to use this instead of your custom files backend. (nerzhul)
- Add position & anchor attributes for formspecs (adelcoding1)
- Add minetest.spawn_falling_node call (zaoqi)
- Remove core.cause_crash Lua call (nerzhul)
- Add on_flood server Lua callback sofar)
- Add clouds API (bendeutsch)
- Add private node meta to prevent some informations to be leaked to client (example: chest contents) (sfan5)
Other / Misc
- Redis backend authentication support (sfan5)
- PostgreSQL < 9.5 support (???)
- Code refactoring (Game, Environments) (???)
- Introduce clang-format on repository to check and reformat C++ code with our rules (~15% source code managed) (nerzhul)
- Move external libs outside of src/ to lib/ (nerzhul)
- Update jsoncpp embedded lib to last C++03 version (0.10.6) (nerzhul)
- Disable leveldb on Android (Ekdohibs)
- Implement daily gitlab package build for Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora (nerzhul)
- Translations updates (Multiple people)
Apps similar to Minetest 3
Minecraft is a fun sandbox game where you explore lost worlds, kill monsters and uncover secrets. Download for Windows, Mac and Linux. This is the World of Color Update.
Infiniminer is an open source multi-player block-based sandbox building and digging game, in which the player is a miner searching for minerals by carving tunnels through procedurally generated voxel-based maps and building structures.
Battlefield meets Minecraft. FPS shooter with online multiplayer action in a sandbox world.