Choose from Multiple Games
- There are many games to choose from. You could survive in a harsh environment, build creatively, or fight other players. Just download a game or connect to a server.
- With 62,000 × 62,000 × 62,000 blocks, there’s no running out of space. You can mine 31,000 blocks down, or build 31,000 blocks up.
- Play by yourself, locally with your friends, or online with dozens of players on a server.
- Not happy with the look of the textures? Change them!
Beautiful Map Generators
- Choose from many different fast map generators included in the engine, or install one as a mod.
Make a Game
- Create your own voxel game using our Lua API. No need to worry about tricky voxel rendering or networking; instead, write scripts to add items and control game play.
- Use the same Lua API to make mods for any Minetest-based game. Publish your mods on the forums, and contribute to others’ mods.
Large Collection of Existing Mods
- There are over 1,000 open source mods on our forums which are ready to be used, adapted or learned from.
- You can find help with any problems on our forums or IRC channels.
- The engine is open source and transparently developed. Submit an issue for anything you’re missing, or get the source code and dig into it yourself.
Extract the zip package somewhere. Run the executable found in the bin/ folder.
- Android version updated to 18.104.22.168
- macOS beta updated to 22.214.171.1240.2.16
Client / Audiovisuals
- Fix alpha blending in texture modifiers (Warr1024)
- Make natural night light as bright as MT 0.4.16 (paramat)
- Shader fixes (lhofhansl, SmallJoker)
- Clean up font caching, fix bitmap fonts (SmallJoker)
- Waves generated with Perlin-type noise #8994 (lhofhansl)
- Attachments: Fix glitches after detach (SmallJoker)
- Let node 'place' and 'dug' sounds be heard by other players (sfan5)
- Fix weird looking liquid source (Wuzzy2)
- Basic model shading (dcbrwn)
- Improve arm inertia animations (kilbith)
- Add visual feedback for button states (Df458)
- Formspec: draw order and clipping for all elements (DS)
- Refactor internal button styling/rendering code (Df458')
- Formspec: Fix clicking on tooltip-obstructed elements (DS)
- Formspec: change cursor on fields and co. (DS)
- Various new formspec bug fixes (SmallJoker)
- Formspec: Add 9-slice background support to button elements (Df458)
- Formspec: add hypertext element (pyrollo)
- Formspec: animated_image (Df458, kilbith)
- Make clipping of formspec elements more consistent (Df458)
- Remove outdated field_close_on_enter warnings in element parameters (SmallJoker)
- Fix mouse events sent to wrong GUI elements when dragging (sfan5)
- Restore intuitive click-through behaviour (DS)
- Wear out tools on punch (sfan5)
- Tunnels: Completely disable generation when 'cave width' >= 10.0 (paramat)
- Randomwalk cave liquids: Remove deprecated 'lava depth' (paramat)
- Automatically enable the mod's dependencies in the world config menu (HybridDog)
- Clean up craft replacements docs (pauloue)
- Falling nodes: add missing support for light sources, most drawtypes, and paramtype2s (Wuzzy2)
- Remove legacy flat-file map code and documentation (random-geek)
- Fix packet receiving in server and client (sfan5)
- Key settings: Cancel with escape, clear with delete (SmallJoker)
Script API / Modding
- CSM: Introduce get_modpath() (sfan5)
- CSM: Remove non-functional minetest.get_day_count() (sfan5)
- Add z-index management to HUD (pyrollo)
- Add table.key_value_swap and table.shuffle (HybridDog)
- Map download: Escape ':' to '_' (NTFS/FAT* systems) (Montandalar)
- Settings: Add get_flags API for mapgen flags (SmallJoker)
- Improve minetest.sound_play with ephemeral sounds and player exclusion (sfan5)
- Reworked validity checks for entities (sfan5)
- Documentation: Add advice on lifetime of ObjectRefs (sfan5)
- Allow texture modifiers in hotbar textures (Warr1024)
- Nodes with torchlike drawtype and custom visual_scale now are rendered attached to surface instead of being centered (Wuzzy2)
- Add documentation of VoxelArea 'ystride', 'zstride' (paramat)
- Lua API: Document HP, breath and damage limits (SmallJoker)
- Various documentation improvements (Wuzzy2)
- CSM: Corrections to client_lua_api.txt (sfan5)
- Make minetest.item_place_node return position of placed node (Bluebird)
- Call on_secondary_use when object is right-clicked (sfan5)
- CSM: Various fixes (sfan5)
- Many pathfinder bugfixes and improvements (Wuzzy2)
- Fix failure to find path if start or end pos is over air (Wuzzy2)
- Fix very broken implementation of A* search (Wuzzy2)
- No longer jump through solid nodes (Wuzzy2)
- Return nil if start or end pos is solid (Wuzzy2)
- New set_sky, set_sun, set_moon and set_stars (Jordach)
- Secure and document minetest.deserialize() (luk3yx)
- minetest.get_content_id: throw error for unknown nodes (HybridDog)
Misc / Build
- Don't install fonts on ENABLE_CLIENT=0 configurations (sfan5)
- Fix memleaks in formspecs (SmallJoker)
- Android: build fixes & compat fixes (MoNTE48, nerzhul)
- Run luacheck in travis, add luacheck (rubenwardy)
- Android: fix cyrillic characters (Maksim)
- Various build issue fixes (Clang, Travis CI) (sfan5)
- Simple weather that varies the clouds (paramat)
- More realistic boat physics (gang65)
- Creative Inventory search: Item with exact match appears in first spot (sfan5)
- Creative Inventory: More visual tweaks (Andrey2470T)
- Improve player model animation (An0n3m0us)
- Increase water opacity (lhofhansl)
- Reset spawn position when bed is destroyed (Desour)
- Papyrus now appears in rainforest swamps as well (paramat)
- New/updated translations:
- French (DrHackberrry)
- Spanish (runsy)
- Italian (h4ml3t)
- Russian (Andrey2470T)
- Swedish (Aresiel)
- Malay (MuhdNurHidayat)
- Chinese (zaoqi, IFRFSX)
- Bugfix: TNT mod crashed when entities disappeared during explosion (sfan5)
- Bugfix: Papyrus in savanna did not appear in 5.1.0, it has been added back (paramat)
- Bugfix: Screwdriver was able to rotate torches into weird positions (An0n3m0us)
- Bugfix: Players could be knocked back when attached (sfan5)
Software similar to Minetest 3
Minecraft is a fun sandbox game where you explore lost worlds, kill monsters and uncover secrets. Download for Windows, Mac and Linux. This is the Buzzy Bees Update.
Battlefield meets Minecraft. FPS shooter with online multiplayer action in a sandbox world.
Infiniminer is an open source multi-player block-based sandbox building and digging game, in which the player is a miner searching for minerals by carving tunnels through procedurally generated voxel-based maps and building structures.