Choose from Multiple Games
- There are many games to choose from. You could survive in a harsh environment, build creatively, or fight other players. Just download a game or connect to a server.
- With 62,000 × 62,000 × 62,000 blocks, there’s no running out of space. You can mine 31,000 blocks down, or build 31,000 blocks up.
- Play by yourself, locally with your friends, or online with dozens of players on a server.
- Not happy with the look of the textures? Change them!
Beautiful Map Generators
- Choose from many different fast map generators included in the engine, or install one as a mod.
Make a Game
- Create your own voxel game using our Lua API. No need to worry about tricky voxel rendering or networking; instead, write scripts to add items and control game play.
- Use the same Lua API to make mods for any Minetest-based game. Publish your mods on the forums, and contribute to others’ mods.
Large Collection of Existing Mods
- There are over 1,000 open source mods on our forums which are ready to be used, adapted or learned from.
- You can find help with any problems on our forums or IRC channels.
- The engine is open source and transparently developed. Submit an issue for anything you’re missing, or get the source code and dig into it yourself.
Extract the zip package somewhere. Run the executable found in the bin/ folder.
- macOS beta updated to 184.108.40.2060.9.20
- Android version updated to 220.127.116.11
Modder Update Guide
- Lua API: minetest.PLAYER_MAX_BREATH_DEFAULT set to 10 (was 11). This can cause problems with “statbar” mods (like [hudbars]) that rely on the old value, so those likely need updating
- Default in Minetest Game was incorrectly overriding dropped items. Make sure to update any overrides to pass new arguments to on_step to the original function
Client / Audiovisuals
- Smoother camera movement to fix jump glitches (paramat)
- More precise player controls handling (TheTermos)
- Fix bone-attached entities (hecktest)
- Fix incorrect position data on attach (hecktest)
- Fix HUD scaling (mainly for Android) (MoNTE48)
- Fix incorrect entity light calculations (SmallJoker, sfan5)
- Add chat_log_level and chat_font_size setting (SmallJoker)
- New default sky color gradient (TheTermos)
- Change default keys for camera/minimap to C/V (Wuzzy)
- Fix breath bar scaling (ANAND)
- Fix bone position changes breaking animations (theviper121)
- No grey screen when C++ errors are thrown by Lua (pauloue)
- Android: add OpenGL ES 2 support (MoNTE48)
- Reuse object_shader for "wielditem" and "item" entities (dcbrwn)
- Shaders: Fix OpenGL < 4.3 compatiblity (SmallJoker)
- Formspec: properly display altered inventory lists (DS)
- Android: Various input-related fixes (MoNTE48)
- Android: Android Studio support, improve everything (MoNTE48)
- Remove sound menu and show proper msgs if sound is off (Wuzzy)
- Highlight hovered formspec elements when pressing F5, for testing (SmallJoker)
- Implement DPI scaling for Windows (sfan5)
- Allow relative directories for `screenshot_path` (Calinou)
- Add (optional) tone mapping for entities (dcbrwn)
- Add new mapgen options in world creation dialog (Wuzzy)
- Add support for overriding item inventory/wield images in texture packs (Df458)
Fix wrong image button scaling (pyrollo)
Document *_hovered and *_pressed styles as deprecated (v-rob)
Add buttons to ContentDB in game bar and configure world (rubenwardy)
Add universal style selector “*” (v-rob)
Add content_offset and padding style properties for buttons (Df458)
Add scroll_container element (DS)
CSS-like state-selection for style elements (Df458)
World / Server / Environment
- Fix liquids refusing to flow in X+ or Z+ in some cases (sfan5)
- Rework functionality of leveled nodes (Wuzzy)
- New Mapgen V7 floatland implementation (paramat)
- Server: Better emerge multithreading, various fixes (sfan5)
- Correctly indicate failure in /spawnentity (sfan5)
- Add PostgreSQL authentication backend (nerzhul)
- Add chat command "/revokeme (priv)" (Panquesito7)
- Optimize get_objects_inside_radius calls (nerzhul)
- Fix world migration to PostgreSQL (sfan5)
- Collision detection fixes and follow-up bug fixes (TheTermos)
- Many many networking improvements (sfan5)
Script API / Modding
- Log warning when secure.enable_security is disabled (rubenwardy)
- Exposed zoom key to the API (appgurueu)
- Add LevelDB auth database (luk3yx)
- Add vector functions useful for working with rotations (NetherEran)
- Add minetest.is_creative_enabled (Wuzzy)
- Add minetest.on_authplayer callback (sorcerykid)
- HUD: Implement scalable texts (LoneWolfHT)
- HUD: "off state" icon feature for statbars (Wuzzy)
- set_fov: Add time-based transitions (ANAND)
- Expose collision information to LuaEntity on_step (sfan5)
- Enforced type checks for registration fields (SmallJoker)
- Add server side translations capability (pyrollo)
- Fix alias handling of minetest.get_content_id (sfan5)
- Document inheritance of different noise seeds (paramat)
- Add default stack size setting (SmallJoker)
- Play player_jump sound when player jumps (Wuzzy)
- HUD: Better waypoints and new image variant (appgurueu)
- CSM: Implement minetest.sound_fade() (sfan5)
- Error on invalid mapgen alias (Wuzzy)
- Add allowed_mapgens option in game.conf (wt)
- Lua API documentation clarifications (Wuzzy)
- minetest.PLAYER_MAX_BREATH_DEFAULT set to 10 (was 11) (ANAND)
Misc / Build
- Android: Hide media from galleries etc (rubenwardy)
- Minimal development test [minimal] renamed to “Development Test” [devtest] (Wuzzy)
- Complete overhaul of Development Test, many new features added for testing the engine, more documentation added in README files, etc. (Wuzzy)
- Particle & ParticleSpawner code cleanup (sfan5)
- Add Prometheus support (nerzhul)
- Fix detection of in-place path_locale when RUN_IN_PLACE=0 (sfan5)
- List STATIC_LOCALEDIR in "--version" (sfan5)
- Many code optimizations (sfan5)
- Wireshark dissector update (sfan5)
- Split and re-organize server object code (nerzhul)
- Automatic build improvements (sfan5, nerzhul)
- Rename “Dry Dirt” and related blocks to “Savanna Dirt” and similar (paramat)
- Added Wild Cotton: grows in savannas, drops Cotton Seeds (paramat)
- Sort items into correct categories (An0n3m0us)
- Tune cloud density variation (paramat)
- Fix broken Creative inventory search in translation (sfan5)
- Make Straw Stairs/Slabs usable as fuel (Paul Ouellette)
- New textures: Dry Shrub, Brake Rail (Extex101, Hooded Ice)
- Block particles when leaves decay, TNT explodes (sfan5)
Software similar to Minetest 3
Minecraft is a fun sandbox game where you explore lost worlds, kill monsters and uncover secrets. Download for Windows, Mac and Linux. This is the Nether Update.
Battlefield meets Minecraft. FPS shooter with online multiplayer action in a sandbox world.
Infiniminer is an open source multi-player block-based sandbox building and digging game, in which the player is a miner searching for minerals by carving tunnels through procedurally generated voxel-based maps and building structures.