Boxee has released a small Valentine's Day gift for D-Link Boxee Box owners. After a series of delays, the media-streaming device has finally received support for Netflix, which has been the most requested feature since the system's debut last November. This addition follows nearly a month after Boxee added support for Vudu, another popular video streaming service purchased by Walmart last year.
Netflix is available for users in the US and Canada after the software is updated to version 22.214.171.12443. This should occur automatically within the next 24 hours or you can manually force the update by navigating to Settings>System>Update. It was noted that Netflix on the Boxee Box is different from the PC and Mac. It features the new Netflix UI which has more discovery options including Netflix recommendations.
The latest firmware update also includes support for Dolby Digital TrueHD bit streaming, high-resolution SRT subtitles, as well as new drivers for external IR remotes and various bug fixes:
- Under some circumstances, audio took 1-2 seconds to start.
- Subtitle size change was not retained after restart.
- In some websites, switching the video quality during playback did not work.
- Post boot Black screen (only if you are able to view the start up video animation).
- Vudu was not authorized if system was unable to acquire a correct time and date.
- Could not go backwards, forward or pause in Vimeo.
- With some audio receivers, namely Onkyo, audio was lost after video resolution switch.