Boxee Box to improve browser, add iPad supportBy Emil Protalinski
Boxee aims to release a firmware update for the Boxee Box (and in the future other Boxee-based devices) approximately every three months. The last firmware update was in February 2011 so we can expect the next one in May 2011.
Each firmware update is supposed to have a healthy mix of new and improved functionality together with bug fixes. The upcoming firmware update is supposed to improve the browser (faster loading and scrolling, favorites, and history), tweak video playback (improved fast forward/rewind controls and add a new look for the on-screen-display), allow local files to be sorted by source and add .nfo support, introduce new languages (French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Spanish, and Swedish), and finally add support for Boxee for iPad.
Here's an incomplete list of bugs the team is trying to solve in the upcoming update (you can view all bugs at jira.boxee.tv):
- Occasionally when trying to download and install applications it will result with "signature failed" message
- Using USB IR receiver duplicate button presses are occasionally generated
- HTTPS URLs cannot be invoked from search bar
- Update is prompted during paused video
- Special characters are displayed wrong
- Playback of some overlay ads in Flash video stutters
- The Boxee Box doesn't recognize two USB drives with the same drive label
- When Boxee resumes from 'sleep' mode all artwork is gone from library view
- iPhone remote does not refresh the available host names
- Display file name with Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters
- and many more...
The firmware update is mostly complete; Boxee is going to send out the new version to its early access users and start the process of collecting feedback on the build quality, new functionality, and overall experience. Once the version is deemed worthy, it will be released to everyone.