Bloggers take note. Automattic just released a WordPress.com desktop app for Windows. In a company blog post, they promise the app is "simple, seamless, and blazingly fast." Back in November, Automattic released a revamp of their web interface along with a desktop app for Mac and said that Windows and Linux counterparts would be coming soon. And really, it shouldn't just be bloggers paying attention to this since WordPress accounts for up to a quarter of the Web.
The app functions like the website but gives the option of working straight from your desktop. You can manage multiple sites, publish posts, customize the appearance, and keep track of stats. The app is for WordPress.com sites as well as self-hosted WordPress sites (as long as you have the Jetpack plugin up and running.)
Here's a full list of what the app includes:
- The My Sites dashboard for managing multiple sites, whether WordPress.com or self-hosted WordPress with Jetpack.
- The new WordPress.com Editor, with in-app previewing and draft auto-saving.
- The Reader, which lets you follow and read any of your favorite sites, and the all-new Discover, which recommends outstanding content from across all of WordPress.
- Insights and Stats, which show you exactly how your site and posts are performing.
- In-app notifications, so you can see comments, likes, and new follows all in one place.
The app is free to download here.