Pokemon Go, presidential election among the most talked about topics on Facebook in 2016By Shawn Knight
Facebook's fake news problem seems to be all that anyone is talking about as of late. It's an issue that the social network will no doubt continue to grapple with as we head into the New Year but on Thursday, Facebook took a step back to remember the year that was 2016.
With its annual Year in Review, Facebook highlighted the most talked about global topics of the year as reproduced below:
- US Presidential Election
- Brazilian Politics
- Pokemon Go
- Black Lives Matter
- Rodrigo Duterte & Philippine Presidential Election
- Super Bowl
- David Bowie
- Muhammad Ali
Facebook for the first time is also sharing a top 10 list of the most viewed Live videos as seen below:
- Candace Payne, Chewbacca Mom
- Ted Yoder, Soundscapes
- Buzzfeed, Countdown to the next presidential election
- Atlanta Buzz, People are lining up to hug police officers in Dallas
- NBC News, Election results
- Under the Hood, Video of a truck completely carved out of wood
- Viral Thread, Population count from US to CA
- CNN, Election results on Empire State building
- Dena Blizzard, Pokemon Go for moms "Chardonnay Go"
- Super Deluxe, Election map
Facebook said its top 10 topics list was measured based on how frequently a topic was mentioned in posts between January 1 and November 27. Specifically, mentions were analyzed in an aggregated and anonymous way then ranked accordingly. The top 10 Live videos, on the other hand, were simply based on their total view count.
Many users will also find a personalized video in their news feed populated with some of their more meaningful moments of 2016. This "Your Year in Review" can be edited and shared with friends and family, should you choose to do so.