Emachine T2682

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone.
I also have a question i have been reading the posts about the emachines and the problem with motherbo and the psu. Mine is a T2682 my power supply seems to be ok but the machine wont start and the light on the front of the case turns yellow. Now here is my question i dont know what mother board to buy or where to buy? If someone could point me in the right direction i must get this system up and running i need several files off the harddrive.

contact emachines. Look at the motherboard you currently have along with any documentation.

don't bother replacing the motherboard until you replace the PSU.

Usually when the power supply fails it damages the motherboard as well. Getting lights doesnt mean the power supply is ok. A new quality PS is about $40 but the motherboards from eMachines is $160. If you dont use an eMachines motherboard, your Restore Discs wont work. You can get a new computer for a little more than that and you can put the old hard drive in the new machine as a slave.

If you replace the PSU and everything turns on (fans et al) but the PC doesn't POST, ur mobo is definitely dead. And avoid eMachines in the future, they're of extremely poor build quality.

Welcome to the board Demonslaer
Tell us more about your condition. You said "the machine wont start and the light on the front of the case turns yellow." Is this all that happens when you press the ON button? Can you hear the disk spin up? Does the monitor show anything? Do you hear any beeps? How do you know your Power Supply is good?

If indeed all you get is a yellow light, your Power Supply may be the problem. First thing to do is swap it out with with a good one, if you have the luxury to have a good one on hand. Sometimes the MB gets hosed by a bad PS, but sometimes not.

Previous posts are absolutely right. It's not worth buying another eMachine MB for $160. You may consider an upgrade and replace it with a different MB and CPU. However, you will also have to buy a new copy of Win XP. Your current OS will not work with a different MB.

Where to buy a MB and CPU? Suggest you search for other eMachine posts on this board. They have a lot of good suggestions for Power Supply, MB and CPU replacements. If you live in the USA, NewEgg.com and TigerDirect.com are very popular on-line computer parts stores. For a Power Supply look for an ATX type, like the "FSP Group ATX350-PA" or " SPARKLE ATX-300GT ATX." For a MB look for a form factor 'micro ATX' with a matching CPU.
Good luck, Tony

"Exactly, right up there with Dell/HP/Compaq..."

TD25x,
aren't you just a little close to Emachines? This is like asking Bill Gates just how good Vista is :rolleyes:

I must admit that your contributions here, have made my Emachines experiences a little more tolerable ;)

Nah I don't think Dell, HP and the like are as bad as eMachines. I would rather buy from them (i.e. Dell etc.) than get an eMachine, coz I've seen more than enough problems in the forums related to eMachines because of their poor build quality.

I just hate to see people come to a false conclusion based on a false premise. That's like saying, "Don't buy a Ford (or take your pick of Chevy/Dodge/Nissan/Toyota/etc.) because they use substandard parts." You're gonnna find instances like that in every product made.
If eMachines or any computer manufacturer build a product that is "extremely poor build quality", why are they still in business? Why have their sales expanded in other countries?
Because they are entry level computer that are affordable?
Maybe it's a geographical area thing or circle of people that I know, but my personal experience is more poeple that I have talked to have had more problems with their Dells and HPs than the eMachine owners have.
Not everyone has the ability (like us geeks) to build a $300 system. And BTW, I didn't see the cost of an operating system, keyboard, mouse and speakers in that build plus the labor cost to put it all together.
My youngest son has a T2742, that has run 24-7 for almost 2 years, still running today and he's never had the cover off of it. Is this the rule of the exception? I'll admit it's probably the exception.....I guess everybody has their prejudices.
OK, I'll stop with my eMachines harangues for now and go back to my little eMachine hole in the web and continue to try to fill the void.
I'm glad my posts here have made the eMachines experiences more tolerable for ya,,,maybe later on I can even make them entertaining :)

Thank You All,
The replies have been extreamly helpful to me. I do have several other power supplies on hand but none that will work with this emachine. It has an extra 4-prong cable that also plugs into the motherboard and the other power supply's i have dont have that. So i order one from (911 for pc's) and you all were right it cost around $40 (thanks Vegasgmc) I should have it by Mon or Tue at the latest. Now here is my next question! I took out the motherboard so i could read exactly what kind it was and TD25x suggested i look at (Imperial _ GV) he also said be careful and led me to a link that i have read several times now. One owner of the T2682 said he used a (MSI845GVM-V) on my board it just has Mat NO: 142433 Imperial _ GV 200307018 Finally the question i still don't know what to buy or if i should wait for the ps to come in and try that or to order a motherboard and have it on its way? I am pretty well self taught on working with computers but right now i feel very inadequate when it comes to this emachine. Any help will be a blessing to me.

"My youngest son has a T2742, that has run 24-7 for almost 2 years, still running today and he's never had the cover off of it. Is this the rule of the exception? I'll admit it's probably the exception.....I guess everybody has their prejudices"...

I don't necessairly like to leave computers on 24/7, but turning a computer on and off several times a day is not good either. My systems are turned on in the morning and turned off in the evening.

I would suggest that TD25x not open his son's Emachines. It has to be loaded with dust. Removing this dust may cause the Emachines to never turn on again. Come to think of it, Emachines should put "never turn computer off" in their owners manuals

With the merits of how often to turn a computer on and off or how often to clean a system out aside, the point I was trying to make was the reliability that he has had with his system,,,maybe that is the "secret" to the longevity of an eMachine,,,never turn it off and never clean it out.
But I agree with you, I'm sure his system is loaded with filth by now, but I'm not going to do his "house cleaning" for him or tell him how often to turn his system on and off, he is his own man. But I bet he buys another eMachine when that one finally craps out.

"But I bet he buys another eMachine when that one finally craps out"

That's cool TD25x,
You should teach your children to build their own systems. This is a good education tool too...

also, if you have "hairy" animals or humans in your household, or you live in a dusty climate, you would be amazed at just how dirty a system can get in a month or two. Smoker households have a heavy sticky, guey substance that really gums up system fans and optical drives

Tmagic650 said:
if you have "hairy" animals or humans in your household
lol, hairy humans (especially cavemen) are very bad for computers, they tend to use them as weapons when they misplace their bone or wooden club :giddy: :D :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back