Intel beats AMD! (bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirob

Intel's Conroe!

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=1
As far as we could tell, there was nothing fishy going on with the benchmarks or the install. Both systems were clean and used the latest versions of all of the drivers (the ATI graphics driver was modified to recognize the Conroe CPU but that driver was loaded on both AMD and Intel systems).

Intel told us to expect an average performance advantage of around 20% across all benchmarks, some will obviously be higher and some will be lower. Honestly it doesn't make sense for Intel to rig anything here since we'll be able to test it ourselves in a handful of months. We won't say it's impossible as anything can happen, but we couldn't find anything suspicious about the setups
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4843
These are interesting results for a number of reasons, we are comparing the mid range Conroe CPU against that of the future top of the range FX62. Whilst we know that AMD has Socket AM2 around the corner, and also has DDR2 around the corner we have to say that Intel have a major performance lead. The clock speeds were low and can clearly increase over time, and apparently the CPU scales well (how well, we don't know yet.)

Intel will launch their new parts in Q3 (we believe at the beginning) the entry level parts look to be coming in at around the 1.8GHz and the High end parts will be 2.8/3.0GHz.

Anyone thinking about a high end system if the numbers which we have just reported are even close to what we will see, we have to say just wait - its not going to be long and it will for sure be worth it.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/03/08/intel_conroe_benchmark_fear/
The Conroe result speaks for itself, pretty much - we've included our own reference lab numbers from back home for comparison.

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2716&p=1
Some problems have been noted in the first tests. Anandtech retests with updated BIOS on the DFI RDX200, and 4-4-4 timings on the i975x board. Results continue to favor the Intel Core processor.

Of course, we'll take these results with a pinch of salt until we get to play with our own systems in the labs, which Intel has intimated will be sooner rather than later. We can't wait!

A stock E6700 smashed a FX60 overclocked to 2.8GHz in games and encoding. AMD's short stay at the top is done for. In july I will buy my first dual core and it will be a Conroe! :bounce:

AMD never had a lead like this one, and AM2 is not going to help much.

[CENTER]
woopass.JPG
[/CENTER]

Christmas is comining JULY! :D

That article says that they are over 6 months away from the launch. I am a bit of an AMD fan, but I mostly just want the processor market to stay really competitive because I think it has huge benefits for the consumer...me!

First chips come out July 23.

E4200 1,60GHz 2MB =800MHz 65W Q4 $169
E6200 1,60GHz 2MB 1066MHz 65W Q4 $179

E6300 1,86GHz 2MB 1066MHz 65W July 23 $183
E6400 2,13GHz 2MB 1066MHz 65W July 23 $224

E6500 2,40GHz 2MB 1066MHz 65W Q4 $269
E6600 2,40GHz 4MB 1066MHz 65W July 23 $316
E6700 2,67GHz 4MB 1066MHz 65W July 23 $530
X6800 2,93GHz 4MB 1066MHz ???? July 23 $999

X6900 3,20GHz 4MB 1066MHz ???? --waiting for compition
X8000 3,33GHz 4MB 1333MHz ???? --waiting for compition

A $530 chip beat the overclocked X2 that cost over $1000. :eek: AMD has never beat Intel like this, ever.
AM2 will at the most give 10%(turns out it's 0%). If the 3GHz chip comes out this year(it will) it will run very hot, cost too much and still get beat by this E6700(E6600 even) . AMD better get working...45nm is needed NOW! K8L Croe Clones comming early next year begining with the first 65nm FX.

Conroe all the Way... CrusH KiLL DesTroy

: Same here Bro. :haha:

I have looked over the INTEL Conroe Benchmarks and they have absolutely blown me away. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

This will defiantly give AMD something to worry about. :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
I mean Wow.

_[LINK]_

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=3

__
If you had any doubts about the results on the previous page, this one should convince you. Even when running a non-Intel created demo, Conroe offers a 41% performance advantage over the 2.8GHz Athlon 64 X2.

The advantage exists in both the minimum and maximum frame rates as well.

__

...heh

I am definitely going to wait until July in Q3 when INTEL is rumoured to release the Conroe Processors... :) Yay......

||I currently have an AMD 3200 + XP Bartron
With a GeForce 2. 64 Mb.|| LoL

I am glad I have Waited... this long to build a New System...

The Waiting Game seems to have Paid Off!

This is horrible! How did Intel come onto this amazing core? AMD has always been the gaming CPU. Wait... No.... its the... apocalypse! EVERYONE RUN!

It's design has roots back to the Pentium Pro. It has a 14 stage pipline. It has a four issue wide core, all other x86 now have 3 issue wide cores. That means it can be running four instructions at one time per core. SEE is majorly reworked and can execute most instructions in less than on cycle.

This is just part of what is being shown off at the IDF:
Merom will retain good battery life, he claimed. Conroe will give a 40 per cent improvement in performance with a 40 per cent reduction in power, he said. He reckons Woodcrest will give an 80 per cent improvement in performance and a 35 per cent reduction in power.
Source: The Inquier
Looks like the server market is going to be changing too. Woodcrest is going to blow the Opterons out.

It realy looks like it will be atleast one year before AMD has a shot at even comparing with Intel. IBM and AMD say they can get %40 better transister performance, but it's not enough. This Conroe is 80%, ~40% performance and 40%+ power consumption. AMD's K8L looks good, said to be out with the first 65nm FX in early 2007. It may or may not even thing up again.

wow, that's news to me. i always heard AMD was way better!
What makes AMD the "Gaming procesor"? Or is that simply a reputation as opposed to a better performing gaming procesor?

rickyjo said:
wow, that's news to me. i always heard AMD was way better!
What makes AMD the "Gaming procesor"? Or is that simply a reputation as opposed to a better performing gaming procesor?

AMD is a little better now, but Conroe is alot better. When it is out maybe in July AMD is going to be way behind, futher than Intel ever was. Look at the bechmarks, the FX lookks realy good, but Conroe is just plain awesome. :eek:

I must say I have always leaned toward Intel because of some bad AMD experiences that I have had in the past. I am glad to see that they are catching AMD in performance on the one are they could never beat them, gaming.

Also I know that people are saying it isn't out yet, and I don't know if they are the same chips but I know that there are some dual core Intel's on newegg as of a few days ago.

Better Info on Core.

Intel Wide Dynamic Execution.
Intel widened the execution pipeline so that now 4 instructions can be processed within a single clock cycle. As a result, fewer cycles are needed for processing the same amount of instructions and hence less energy is consumed for the same amount of work.

They have also enhanced the ability to combine instructions. Now they are talking not only about micro-fusion, when simpler instructions were combined into a single one, but they have also introduced macro-fusion, i.e. when such complex instructions as “compare” and “jump” can be put together into a single instruction.

Intel Advanced Digital Media Boost.
This innovation deals with SSE family of instructions. Now the entire family of SSE instructions will be executed in a single cycle.

Intel Advanced Smart Cache (L2 cache).
They introduced shared cache structure and incorporated the advanced caching algorithms. Now the info will be more efficiently shared between the processors. Even if one CPU is idle at a given moment of time, the other CPU will be able to take the advantage of the entire cache. In other words, there will be no partitioning of the cache space.

Intel Smart Memory Access. Intel introduced improved pre-fetch algorithms that deliver additional flexibility for ordering loads and stores. These algorithms allow to significantly improve efficient energy distribution and performance.
Intel Intelligent Power Capability. Here they imply advanced power gating, i.e. they shut down those systems that are not needed for instruction execution

I like your enthusiasm Mirob. I think its actually kind of sad though that Intel is still 6 months away from launching a chip that will be faster than the competitors product thats currently in market. It's been years and multiple product launches since Intel could say they have a faster chip than AMD. But really until its here in market and stands trial by fire, its all marketing hype. And to speculate on top of it that AMD's next release will be insignifact is just willful ignorance.

PanicX said:
It's been years and multiple product launches since Intel could say they have a faster chip than AMD.

What???

Years?

Ok prescott, yeah it was bad. Maybe even northwood. But when your talking years, well i think about the copermine p3 core, which IMO was very nicely done.

People seem to have this stimiga that intel has always sucked, and will always suck. And now, OMG OMG OMG their next chip will be faster. But after this past year, intel has wised up.

BTW- Panic you and i have dueled it out, and you know it is in jest.

Mirob said:
It will be out in Q2, so July at the soonest.

Core Extreme Edition Series - 1333MHz FSB, EM64T, EIST, VT, SSE4
Core Extreme Edition - 3.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 95W - $___ - Q4
Core E6000 Series - 1066MHz FSB, EM64T, EIST, VT, SSE4
Core E6800 - 2.93GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $___ - Q4
Core E6700 - 2.67GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $529 - Q3
Core E6600 - 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $315 - Q3
Core E6400 - 2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 2MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $240 - Q3
Core E6300 - 1.86GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 2MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $210 - Q3
Core E4000 Series - 800MHz FSB, EM64T, EIST, SSE4
Core E4200 - 1.6GHz, 800MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 2MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $___ - Q3

Note, a $529 cpu smashed the overclocked X2 that cost over $1000. :eek: AMD has never beat Intel like this, ever.
AM2 will at the most give 10%. If the 3GHz chip comes out this year it will run very hot, cost too much and still get beat by this E6700. Then it will be agenst the likes of the 3.33GHz XE. AMD better get working...45nm is needed NOW!

I've been watching this for a year now and saying how good it is. I've been flamed by AMD fan bullys left and right (not at techspot.) Now, crow is for thier dinner. puke:

Funny, your little release chart there CLEARLY says Q3, so I'd say late July at the earliest, and more likely, closer to august or even into september. Regardless, AMDs new platform which includes DDR2 (and will put it on a level playing field with conroe) is due out before then, so the benchmarks they provided are really moot.

Also, it should be noted that these benchmarks were performed at an Intel developers conference, using machines that 'although appeared normal' were preloaded with benchmarking utilities, and journalists were just permitted to run them and record the results.

A Victory for Intel? Indeed, and I'm happy to see it, they've finally pulled up their pants and thrown down the gauntlett, it'll be interesting to see how AMD returns fire.

AtK SpAdE said:
What???

Years?

Ok prescott, yeah it was bad. Maybe even northwood. But when your talking years, well i think about the copermine p3 core, which IMO was very nicely done.

Well considering that since the Athlon64 was launched in September 2003 and has maintained a performance lead on Intel ever since, that would be years. Not to mention that the Athlon XP series was also arguably faster then the Intel's available at the time.

If you look at AMD's road map you will see only a 5000+ X2 and a FX62 will be out. The 5000+ will be clocked the same as the FX60, and the FX62 will be 2.8 ghz hence the overclocked FX60 to 2.8ghz in the benchmarks.

If AM2 had any significant inprovements they would have raised the numbers in the names, but the 4800+ X2 is 2.4ghz for both 939 and AM2. I think at best AM2 will be 10% better--with DDR800 or faster.

There may be a 3ghz X2 this year, but that will not help. As it is a FX60 is well over 100w TDP, this Conroe is as fast as a 4ghz X2 and is rated 65w TDP. And then back to the price, it will be worth less than $400 compared to a $530 E6700. AMD is going in the red.

I hope AMD can fight this with more than law suites. We realy need them to push tech forward. If it wasn't for them Conroe would not be a reality.

Conroes are Benched Away from Intel

E6600 at 4GHz! http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99981

More New World Records!!!
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=94194
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99892
13.992 Second 1M PI!

Old records...(beat by overclocked Conroe)
STOCK E6600 1M super pi:
https://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/501/medium/conroe_pi.JPG

CPUZ Verified!
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=85165

A E6400 ES overclocked from 2.13GHz to 3.1GHz (old)world record 1M pi!
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=587650

Mror than three people at XtremeSystems Forum have Conroes, all are now being benched and performing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back