Lost IE icon from desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryaned

I lost my IE desktop icon as well as all icons from the Quick launch area off the taskbar. Running Vista home premium 32 bit version. Any suggestions, tried search with out luck.
Regards, Ned

PS: whats the program that analyzes my system so I can update my profile?...thanks

I lost my IE desktop icon as well as all icons from the Quick launch area off the taskbar

Did you reboot? What loaded?
What mode were you either in or coming from when you 'lost' the icons and Toolbar?
Did you right lick on the desktop> Properties> CHECK 'show icons'?
Did you right click on the Taskbar> Toolbars> CHECK 'Quick Launch?

What did you do before these went missing? Update? What? Install/uninstall? What?
Do You have security program on board? What? Did you scan with them? Results?

I noticed my Internet Explorer icon was missing from my Desktop and Quick Launch after opening my laptop...nothing special done.
The "show icons and Quick Launch" boxes are and have been checked. There were no recent updates or install/uninstall performed.
I have AVG 7.5 running and is approprately updated.
The only way I have to access IE is to type Internet explorer in yahoo taskbar search box...sort of going in the back door. Thanks for your interest.

Regards, Ned

Ned, you can create a new shortcut for IE:
Right click on Start> Explore> Programs> Internet Explorer> look for iexplore.exe on the right screen and right click on it> > Send To> Desktop to create a shortcut.

The concern is for where the QL Toolbar has gone. Is the rest of the Taskbar intact from left at Start to right with notification Area?

Do a hard shut down, then reboot. See if that restore the desktop. If it does not, do a System Restore to closest date before they went missing.

Sometimes just a reboot will fix a glitch. Also good to keep Chkdsk in mine. Last resort is to check for malware.

Just realized I gave path to Windows Explorer to create new shortcut for Windows XP. You might need to adapt that for Vista.

BOBBYE:

IE shortcut is missing from all areas' desktop, quick launch and start menu.

Did a hard shut down, no luck.

Except for empty Quick Launch the remander of the Taskbar is intact and functions fine.

Here is a solution offered by many if you Google Internet Explorer missing from desktop...

"Internet Explorer 7 Desktop icon missing
View products that this article applies to.
Author: Raghu Boddu MVP
Community Solutions Content Disclaimer
Article ID : 555849
Last Review : January 21, 2007
Revision : 1.0
SUMMARY
The Internet Explorer icon might be missing after either you upgrade the Internet Explorer version to 7, or installed through Windows updates.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This is not an issue and is by design. Unlike the previous versions of Internet Explorer, the option to enable to Internet Explorer icon on the Windows Desktop is not available. The behavior of Internet Explorer 7, which is bundled with Windows Vista is also the same.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve the issue, perform the following:

1. Click Start, Run.
2. Type "regedit.exe" (Without quotes).
3. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

4. In the right hand pane, double-click {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} key.
5. Enter dword value as 0 to enable the Internet Explorer icon on the Desktop."

Sorry for the long form but I can't remember how to create a link...I was unable to do this as there is no Hidedesktopicons folder doesn't seem to exist in my HKEY_CURRENT_USER file.

There are many responses when I Googled this topic so I believe this is a "common" problem especially after IE updated but I did not reinstall or update.

Regards, Ned

Ned, it may be a hidden file. Go to Folder options> View tab and CHECK 'show hidden files and folders.

Not sure if this is all Xp only or not, but I had this all in a notepad file, so hope it works on your system

The Internet Explorer icon is not actually a shortcut but a desktop element (like My Computer or Recycle Bin, without the shortcut arrow).
To get it on the desktop:

Option #1 (simple)
Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> "Advanced" tab -> check "Show Internet Explorer icon on desktop".

Option #2 (MS answer)
Internet Explorer 7 Desktop icon missing
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555849

Option #3 (a reg file basically to Opt. #2)
Restore Xp missing IE icon reg file:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ieiconrestore_xp.reg (Xp Only)

Option #4 (This is it usually!)
Uninstall KB943460 from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

If you get a pop up and say programs may not work after the KB943460 is removed - don't worry, just continue

Option #5 (Definately should work :) )
If Windows will not give you the Option to remove it, do it manually Here's how:

Browse to the following folder:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB943460$\spuninst\
Run the file spuninst.exe in that folder and manually remove the Hotfix.

Let me know how it goes

Consensus is option # 2 is the solution...I'm having trouble executing it.

In this folder; HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel
I cannot find a HideDesktopicons file.

I will work on it. Thanks for your help.

Regards, Ned

ieiconrestore.jpg

Here's what I got when I tried to run that link.

Regards, Ned

Please try again

I've had an ongoing issue with my Zip program (strangely)
And I will need to rectify it one day !!
Anyway, I downloaded the above and extracted, and it showed the reg file, so hopefully it now works for you

Otherwise you may need to use the MS link, and make your own

kimsland: I continue to get the "compressed folfer error" message.

Bobbye: I do not have KB943460 to uninstall, but I do have KB936181 and KB941833.

My Quick Launch area remains empty despite several attempts to add frequently used applications.

Regards, Ned

Howto create and run a .REG file.

1. Open Notepad (Click Start, Run, type notepad.exe)
2. Copy and Paste the below lines. (Ignore the Start from Here and End Here lines)

# Start from Here

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

# End Here

3. Save the file with an extension .REG and double-click it to add the Registry value.
4. Refresh (F5) the Desktop.

Doh!

Just noticed that there is a space above in \HideDe sktopIcons\ (in Desktop)

This has been caused by the maximum allowed characters in a row, without a space (and is common on most forums)

Please remove that space before saving the Notepad file->All Files-> Vista.reg

I copy and pasted the "Windows....etc into notepad.
Now I need explicit instructions because #3 has me confused...sorry.

Regards, Ned

Just got your "DOH" message. I can deal with space problem but still need help saving what I typed in Notepad.
Regards, Ned

Ned, did you have any luck resetting shortcut(s) for IE- anywhere?

Remove the Quick Launch Toolbar:
Right click on Taskbar> Toolbars> UNCEHCK Quick Launch
Reboot he computer, then go back an replace Quick Launch.
If the shortcuts are back great. If not, try creating the again, unlocking the Taskbar, and dragging the shortcuts into QL.

Re-lock the Taskbar. Does that work>
Occasionally shortcuts will get corrupt. It's happened a few times to me and I've never known why. I restore with new shortcuts and all was fine. It's worth a try,

Click on File-->Save As--> All Files (this is in the save as box) --> anyname.reg

The anyname can be Anyname!
But it must be written with .reg

Then Save to Desktop (still in the Save As box, you can select the drop down box, then Desktop)

Then close Notepad, and double click on the Reg File-> Yes to merge-> Restart

By the way (BTW) you did remove that space I hope?
Also don't go without saying if it worked !! (it takes a few mins to do !!)

No luck...The saved notepad file remains on the desktop. I was never asked "to merge". Only got a warning about adding "things" to registry...should I try again?

Regards, Ned

Bobbye: Quick Launch is working fine, Thanks

IE icon still elusive, also cannot locate the cascading windows icon called ?Aero.

Will keep trying.
Regards, Ned

Only got a warning about adding "things" to registry...
Yes that's it :)

add it to registry (there may be other questions and/or popups, just Yes yes yes ok ok (whatever it asks)

Then restart, and tell me the answer (this is all just option2 !)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back