McAfee - Should I Pay For An Upgrade or Rely on AVG Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smell the Glove

Hi,

I've got 45 days left on my McAfee Internet Security Suite and was wondering whether or not it is worth the £50 upgrade fee.

I run McAfee with AVG Free as a back up. I just wondered whether or not it is worth paying my money or relying on the Free Software on the net.

Any advice?

IMHO I`d recommend to get rid of McAfee altogether, and run the Free AVG antivirus, and the free zonealarm firewall.

I think you`ll see a performance boost to your system.

Regards Howard :)

I have that same combo howard, ZA and AVG free, and as far as i can see im virius free and it dosnt slow my system down
I agree with howard to get rid of Macafee as sometimes avg and other virus programs dont get along

no need to pay for anti-virus programs.

You can obtain quite a few anti-virus removers/ programs for free.

I'm a big believer in open-source software.

AVG is free
clam-win is free
Avast is free
antidote is free
anti-virus personal edition classic is free
Norton corporate is free (for USA Federal employees)
and there are others

Most of these do provide free versions but please consider supporting the authors by donating to the cause or buying the software. Consider what the value is if they protect you from one trojan or virus!

Scott

I got rid of Norton Internet Security. It was working fine but using a lot of resources. I use AVG Free Edition + Sygate Firewall. It has been more than a month now. I spend most of my day on the computer and surf a lot. I don't have any problems or any suspicious thing going on my computer so far. Its also faster!

howard_hopkinso said:
IMHO I`d recommend to get rid of McAfee altogether, and run the Free AVG antivirus, and the free zonealarm firewall.

I think you`ll see a performance boost to your system.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks, that sounds like a good Antivirus/firewall combo.

:grinthumb

MtnBiker said:
Most of these do provide free versions but please consider supporting the authors by donating to the cause or buying the software. Consider what the value is if they protect you from one trojan or virus!

Scott

I think that sounds like a great idea. I'm quite willing to donate, after all they've helped me out in the past and besides the free software has helped me to detect just as many nasties as McAfee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back