Gamer's dream come true - AMD cHT-linked coprocesser powerhouses

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCody

AMD plans to bring a system into the consumer enthusiast market for AM2. they refer to it as "4x4".

at first it will start out as a "dually", which will simply have two AM2 sockets, and two pci-express graphics slots.

down the road it will have a different combination of AM2 sockets/specialty sockets/HTX slots (this will depend on licensing and third party support). these sockets (or slots) will all share a large pool of DDR2.

a quad socket (or HTX slot) system could utilize 1. CPU/CPU/GPU/GPU, 2. CPU/CPU/GPU/PPU, or 3. CPU/GPU/GPU/PPU. in any configuration they would all be connected together through a super fast, high bandwidth, low latency cHT (coherent hypertransport) link.

a cHT linkage is faster than any PCI-E interface, even a possible (but still theoretical) PCI-Ex32!!

and to top it off. if AMD ends up buying ATI, you will see this all happen even faster, and at comparable prices with high end PCI-E systems, while outperforming them. :)

EDIT: here is a link to a good article about it if you want some more info

Hmmm, i think that the only word for this information is 'druel', Hmmm, yes, that does it

@mod-newbie, it isnt going to happy anymore, see here

mod-newbie: i never said it was a done deal, the possibility is there but not confirmed.

curtis: i have heard/read both sides of the AMD/ATI "merger". some say it will, some say it won't. as far as I know, there have been no official statements made by either company. just unofficial reports from nameless so called "important" people.

i still consider the possibility open until I hear/read something reliable saying it's not. either way the 4x4 technology will still happen, but the end result may be different.

Yes, Google, did seem a bit confused when i search it but that, imo was the most reliable source so i went with that, the technology is amazing, regardless of what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back