Newbie Req's Network help PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys/girls.

I have my PC connected to my Netgear DG834G (.v3) router via an ethernet cable, and my girlfriend has a wireless laptop. I am trying to set up a network so I can throw files at her without having to fart around with burning disks or getting on my hands and knees and routing about in the cobweb of cables that lurks behind my PC with a USB flash drive (no USB's on front :-( ).

Oh yeah, both are running XP sp2.

.....anyways..... I have changed the names and put them both on the same workgroup but the problem is that my PC can "See" the laptop in the "View Workgroup Computers" but not access it. The laptop on the otherhand does not "See" my PC.

When i click on the laptop icon on my wired PC i get a message saying it is not accessable...blah, blah, blah...

the laptop does exactly the same thing when I click on the "View Workgroup Computers" and it doesn't even see my PC..

I have even tried connecting the laptop via an ethernet cable into the router but that made no difference either.

before you ask, yes i tried the network setup thingy with a USB pen drive and that don't work either.
I don't THINK my firewalls are a problem as I have zone alarm on both with the same setup and pc can see but not access laptop, but laptop can't even seem my PC.
Please help.

Thanx in advance.

Simple File Sharing (XP/Home Users)

start here to get the networking correct FOR BOTH systems

here's the steps to get file sharing working:

1) all systems have the same workgroup name (under System properties)
2) enable Simple File Sharing{*} (it's the only choice for XP/Home)
3) all firewall enable print/file sharing (under firewall Exceptions)
4) select a folder on each system to be shared with MODIFICATIONS allowed
5) set a password for the GUEST account on each system (they do NOT have to be the same)
6) disable the GUEST account (which will then stop login from the keyboard)

{# Open My Computer from the Start Menu or Windows XP Desktop.
A new My Computer window will appear.
# Open the Tools menu and choose the "Folder Options..." option from this menu.
A new Folder Options window will appear.
# Click on the View tab and locate the "Use Simple File Sharing
(Recommended)" checkbox in the list of Advanced Settings.
# To enable Simple File Sharing, ensure this checkbox is checked.
To disable Simple File Sharing, ensure this checkbox is not checked. Click
inside the checkbox to alternately enable and disable the option.}

>>The laptop on the otherhand does not "See" my PC.
then the IP addresses are wrong OR you've disable ICMP or not setup
file sharing correctly. do it all again SLOWLY.

both systems must be able to ping the other
sysA ->pings ->systB and conversely
without this, it's hopeless.

once that works, open ports 137(netbios name) 139(fs via udp) and 445(fs via tcp).

Port 137 will be used to show system names under the workgroup name
for the MS Windows Network

ok, ippreciate the reply but it's WAY over my head, can you exlain HOW to do all this stuff. I understand what "Pinging is" but don't know how to ping another computer.

With regards to IP adresses. My 2 computers always have the same IP Adress, the router is 192.168.0.1
My Wired PC is always 192.168.0.2
My Wireless laptop is Always 192.168.0.3

Even though I havent actually configured Static IP's, they are ALWAYS assigned the same IP. The router is a Netgear DG834G (.v3)

you IP addresses look good (even if statically created :) )

to use ping, run->cmd on systemA
then enter ipconfig and you will see the IP address of systemA

do this again on systemB

now on systemB, enter ping 192.168.0.2 or .3 as the case may be

you will get some timing numbers and should not get message TIMEDOUT.

This verifies your TCP setup is correct and your issue is in the file sharing setup.

a-ha!!...

Ok, i was getting ping errors on both computers. i disabled Zone alarm on both PC's and it worked!!

Ok, one more question. how do i configure zone alarm to allow computers to ping each other obviously cos when firewalls are up ping test on either PC fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back