I click on link/ad in email it opens documents & settings instead of a new browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of nowhere, when I click on an e-mailed link it doesn't do anything, and when I click on an inbedded picture ad in e-mail it now always opens my documents and settings folder instead of opening it up in a new browser like it always has.

Any ideas? I did a scan with XoftSpyXE and found some nasty stuff and deleted it all, but it's still doing it.

Thank you!

No spyware.. all clear

I even tried installing a bunch of those file association fixes. It's still not working properly.

Any other ideas on how to make the links open up a new browser like it used to?

I'm using Mozilla firefox.

I actually installed the latest IE and Outlook Express last week or so because I was having outlook issues. They seem to be fixed, but not the issues of opening links in e-mail.

Yeah, my links work everywhere else as pop-up browsers or whatever, just all of a sudden not if the link is in e-mail or if I am clicking on an ad in e-mail that takes me to a site to view the sale or whatever.

Ok, interesting thing just now: I tried opening a link through Mozilla thunderbird and it WORKED. So it's the outlook Express and/or IE that's messed up. I did install the new beta IE to try to fix everything, but it didn't fix the link problem.

Not to be a putz, but I don't want to get my XP disc out to do all this crap with fixing IE/outlook Express. I guess just installing the newest version didn't erase the old version? :rolleyes:

Yay!

Ok, I got it to work again by deleting the beta IE 7. I clicked on the remaining IE icon and IE 6 popped up. Maybe the 2 had some sort of conflict... I wish I recalled when the problem started.. before or after I installed IE 7.

THANK you for your time and VERY quick replies. This site rocks and although I'm pretty good at comps in general, sometimes I still get a little frazzled.

You guys are greatly appreciated :)

From what I`ve bee reading,when you upgrade IE,it upgrades the security settings as well.That`s probably what happened.

yeah, possibly. Was just strange that clicking on e-mail ads would open up my documents and settings folder.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back