Systray Annoyance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodsu

Here's the story:

When I boot my XP Professional, some things that load at startup do not show up in sytem tray. They load correctly since processes are visible in Task Manager and the services are running.

This applies to both system services and things in Startup folder.
Hiding inactive icons in systray is turned off.
Things not showing up are random, sometimes only a few icons are missing sometimes all of them.
Running these things manually/restarting the services makes the icons show up.

If it's any help, here are the things I always load at startup:

F-Secure AntiVirus - always missing, system service
Radiator (radio tuner proggy) - mostly missing, startup folder
ZoneAlarm Pro - usually shows up, system service

I know it can be an annoyinace, but does it really matter if they show up in the SysTray? I mean if htey are running, and that is all you need to do, then isn't that ok? OR do you need to click on them to change something?

I would probably try reinstalling the applications (although this may not work).

I've never heard of a problem like this before. Perhaps installing SP-1 will fix this (if you haven't already).

Service pack 1 will basically give you a lot of fresh, new system files and may fix something that's wrong such as what is causing this.

you could also try a fresh profile.

copy all of your profile's files to another location in case it turns out you need something, and then delete your profile using another admin account, then log back in and have the profile regenerated by XP.

Its likely that will make the problem go away.

I've also seen this in XP. On two occasions, two different machines. Both times reducing the number of services that loaded on startup fixed the problem. I don't know if it will work in this case but if you haven't already done so, there are quite a few things that load on startup that have no good reason to do so. Also, depending on what apps you have installed, you may have loads more startup apps that are just hogging resources.

I've pretty much disabled everything I can in XP anyways, going any further would severely hinder my computer using experience. :p

I thought it was about things loading before explorer too, but the thing is that the desktop comes up (meaning the Explorer is active), then I see the splash screen for antivirus, but no icons showing up in systray.

The desktop isn't part of explorer is it? I have had problem with explorer and had to shut it down, and the only thing that has disappeared was the taskbar and any windows that were open in it.....I could be wrong, but this is what I've experienced and take it to mean.

By desktop showing up I mean also the taskbar and systray.

Anyways, I think I have this thing solved now.
I disabled running logon scripts synchronized (whatever that means) and things seem to run OK.

So do you want them to show or be able to turn them off? Cuz if you wanna turn them off: Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select the "Processes" tab. You can end the prorgams running in the background there ;) Bet you just want them to show tho :/

I know this is probably not the issue, but, I know XP has that Hide inactive icons check box on the taskbar settings. Might want to look at it, but that don't sound like the prob.

That sounds like someone didn't bother reading the first post properly or likes making irrelevant posts :p

I understand how Kevin feels about just posting what he thinks might be the problem. Sometimes it is hard to read the WHOLE trhead to see what everyone has suggested, or commented on, especially if it is a long one.

Any input is good, even if it is redundant.

p.s. I know you are just giving him a hard time...felt like adding a little bit

I was cheering a bit early there, the problem persists. :blackeye:

Apparently the problem doesn't occur when I have to choose a login icon, but when using autologin the systray icons are gone again. :(

You are not the only one... I have XP Home... My Systray icons come and go at will. I tried to contact MS on it, but they refused to listen, and said to contact Gateway... Gateway guys mean well, but if a goback doesn't fix it, they are kind of clue-less of what to do next, and approaching MS for me in my behalf is not one of the options..... Darn!!!!

These are not "hidden" and I do have customise turned on...

My System: 2.2Ghz P4, 1G ram, many hard drives.
Only one user, an Administrator.

My current beef is my NEW UNOPENED MAIL icon from Outlook 2002.... It was working for a year, and now suddenly quit displaying... Someone posted (DSLR) how to verifiy it is on, and yes, it is on, just not displaying....

My SYSTRAY icons are: NAV2002, BID, MusicMatch Jukebox, NoAds, Autosizer, WeatherChannel (Weatherbug also had problems), and maybe 4 other programs that have come and gone in the past... (Intelligent Batchfile for NAV being one)

On every reboot it is pot luck what will, and will not display....

The one's that DON'T display are still active!!!

I first noticed this before SP1.... According to Window's Update I have all XP upgrades.... I have been checking for this with each Update, hoping that maybe they found it...

Also noticed that after a program install or remove, the next reset will usually result in all porgrams displaying properly... I will know
when all will display properly, depending on which icon displays first during the bootup and load.

I see maybe 4 different types of Systray loading.... All, NAV only, NAV-BID-MMJB only (Seen on this paticular boot), and a total potluck load, with just a couple displaying...

If, after system loads, I open the program, and enable the icon in systray, the icon re-appears. In some instances (BID) I have to exit the program, and re-start it, and then the icon displays. In the case of MMJB, I have to turn off the systray configuration, then re-enable it again....

At present, my most recent disappearing icon is Outlook 2002 Icon, (sound on new mail is enabled), and the new unopened mail icon does display ever so briefly, then disappears, but the sound still works... It worked for a year, and just stopped...

Actually, this is the only current problem I've encountered in XP!

This is my first post here..... Thanks for any suggestions!!!

My icons are behaving again.. Don't know exactly what I did. I messed with all sorts of startup options. It might have been some startup program/service not starting properly or the sunchronized logon scripts option.

Outlook Icon came back

Outlook 2002 New Mail icon came back on it's own...

I guess I can list that along with my other systray icons!!!

Other icons did not display this boot... Sheesh!

Seeing that I can't contact Microsoft, and Gateway won't contact Microsoft for me, is the Anyone who CAN contact Microsoft regarding this issue?

You'd think there would be somewhere I could report this.....

you should check the event viewer for services not starting properly.

Also, try toggling this registry entry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\RunLogonScriptSync

Systray "Fun"

regarding your last post...

Though I can document symptoms pretty good, the Event viewer you are mentioning doesn't ring a bell...

Please tell me the proceedures you want me to follow, and I'll do it and post results here... THanks by the way!!!! :D

*doesnt read the entire list of posts*..

You may have to go into each program's settings and tell it to show the systray icon. Most programs automatically do that but some don't. As far as say Norton Antivirus for example I am 99% sure it comes up in system tray by default but maybe for some reason it got turned off. Wouldn't hurt take a look at the settings if you already haven't.

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer

Service errors are under System, app errors under Application. All events are timestamped, so you can see which ones occurred during Windows startup.

As for the registry setting, open Start->Run and type regedt32 and click OK

Navigate your way to the registry key I gave you. HKLM means HKEY_Local_Machine. Be careful when you mess with registry, because you can break things there.

Much Thanks for the info... No errors are seen for last few days bootups in Event viewer, in any of the them...

Gonna check the registry setting and reply to that separately..

The path you supplied: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\RunLogonScriptSync

I can get all the way to WinLogon, but there is no option
RunLogonScriptSync in WinLogon....

???????

could you please show me what the resulting line should look like?
Reason why I'm asking.... There are binary and text logos on the line, and some other commands that I'm not clear on....
I am not certain how to add the logos.... and other data....
I do have Tweak UI ver 2.00.1.0... Could I more easily add it that way? By the way, XP Home with all patches....
(Yeah, I'm approaching this carefully!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back