Gamin Laptop was overheating, how I easily fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeaaron33

This still amazes me that these two quick fixes took about 30 degrees off my laptop... I was having problems with my laptop randomly turning off. So bein the newb, I googled some key words a couple times. I found that probably too much dust or maybe the thermal glue was coming off cpu or somethin like that. Dust makes sense, cause I am in Baghdad doin contracting work.

Noticing this was a heat problem probably, I downloaded Speedfan and ran it. It showed 75 deg celcius.. I knew that was hot because earlier I read something about 40-50 bein sorta warm. I didn't think Speedfan was accurate, so I ran couple other programs that I found, they all gave same reading. At that point I turned the laptop off hehe

I took laptop apart, blew all the dust out of it, and ya there was a whole lotta dust in there. Took me good 10min just to clean it up. Put it back together. I also pulled out my Bytecc tray cooler that had been sitting in a box unused forever and put that under the laptop.

Powered on, noticed it was not blowing whole lotta hot air out the side of the laptop anymore, let it run, ran some applications and games. Then ran Speedfan again. To my surprise it showed 43deg celcius.

So that's my little story about a newb an his gaming laptop overheating. Maybe it'll help someone out there. If I'm still wrong and my laptop is still way too hot, I'd appreciate if somoene let me know, much thanks.

3.8GHz Intel P4 2mb L2 cache
nVidia gforce go 7900 512mb
2gb 533mhz ddrram
200gb hd

I tried to post links to photos, but it won't let me since this my first post.

Thank-you for the post (1st post too :grinthumb )

I would also advise that anyone attempting this, should have the manual available, and some hardware experience.
With special emphasis on Power and Antistatic precautions.

This preventative maintenance (ie your system was running, just hot)
Can be applied to PC's as well as laptops.
This may cure more than heat issues, but also power fluctuations and memory issues.

Please note: Preventative maintenance is now somewhat outdated. ie It is now recommended (say the last 5 Years) that users only try to fix faults when they arrive. Why? Because by cleaning out dust and checking connections it is possible to cause other issues (that would have normally not happened)
ie the antistatic issue, or even hardened connectors that can break, by re-connecting them.

Not to sound too hipocritical, but just about all techs remove the covers (mainly on PC's) on just about every fault (even if they are clearly software related) Why? Because they usually know what they are doing, and prefer to be thorough.

Well done :grinthumb

Bytecc cooler pics
DSC01217_.jpg

DSC01216_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back