Mouse and Keyboard don't like each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acclamator

I have my computer back for the moment but I seem to have to have a damaged PS/2 Slot. If I hook my keyboard in by itself it works. If I hook the mouse in with it, it doesn't. If I hook the mouse in by itself it doesn't work. The mouse does have power and works on my fathers machine. Do you think my mouse PS/2 slot is damaged?

If you try another PS/2 mouse and it also fails, then that would seem to confirm the PS/2 port is bad.

Check on that. Tried 3. I've also noticed that my mobo sensors have gone bad. It says my system is at 1C and that the CPU is at 1C. It also thinks my 12V Rail is at 16.xx!

Would you guys think my board is going bad? Should I replace my system?

Do you have any yellow symbols next to any devices in the Device Manager? That is, are any having driver problems?

How the hell am I supposed to check that without a mouse/keyboard?

EDIT: Yes there are. My Capture card has one so does my printer port and my floppy drive.

Something has happened that caused you to lose some of your drivers. What has been done to it recently?

I'm not sure what is caused it but can you try to uninstall or fix all of the problem devices by using the Hardware Wizard? Even though the mouse PS/2 port don't seem to have a yellow symbol next to it, include it as well. You can either uninstall the devices, reboot and see if Windows will automatically reinstall them or use the Wizard to fix/replace the drivers directly.

I wonder if there is some underlying problem that you might have to repair by reinstalling Windows.

I can't seem to fix my floppy drive because "this device cannot start". When I boot my machine up it tells me about a floppy drive error. Do you think a cable is just loose? I've reset the CMOS.

Well, the floppy drive is probably the only device where you can install the data cable upside down in the back of it. If the floppy drive activity light is on constantly, then the cable is upside down. If not, it can't hurt to check the tightness of the cable. It's also possible the drive has died or the cable is bad. Maybe you can locate another floppy drive to test in your PC.

Well I formatted and they still don't work togethor. The drive, cable or floppy port on the mobo died because another floppy drive didn't work. I think my board is probably just about to hit the dust.

I've sent in an RMA, hopefully they'll honor the warranty... If not I'll hop the Core 2 Duo bandwagon.

Lol I can make my friends on 3 year old systems cry by smashing up this machine infront of them :)

Okay. Glad your problem got solved and thank you for the follow up. That is a good piece of information. I'll try to remember that if anyone else has similar odd problem.

Thanks for the help Mailpup. I'm both happy and sad I fixed the problem, I saw this as a valid excuse to get a new Core 2 Duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back