Problem Booting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried replacing my slave hd with a bigger one and accidentally plugged the blank into my master plug with my master drive out. I know I know... I thought I could just plug back up to my main drive and restart and move on. I was wrong. Now when the PC is powered on, it detects hardware, boots CDROM, then Primary HD. Only problem is when it opens the HD, the cursor that normally only blinks a few times before windows starts, blinks forever and ever and never boots windows. Thinking this was a drive issue, I replaced the drive with another HD with WINXP and got the same results. I then performed a disk scan and windows had no damaged files.

Here are some specs on my PC in case it might help:
REAL COMPUTER NAME - MININT-Q18704CN
COMPUTER NAME - HOME
KERNEL - MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP, UNIPROCESSOR FREE
PRODUCT TYPE - PROFESSIONAL
PRODUCT VERSION - 5.1
SERVICE PACK - 3
KERNEL BUILD - 2600
REGISTERED ORGANIZATION - BLOOD, SWEAT & TATTOOS
REGISTERED OWNER - WAYNE ROOKS
SYSTEM ROOT - C:\WINDOWS
PROCESSORS - 1 TYPE - x86 FAMILY 15 MODEL STEPPING 4 GENUINE INTEL
PHYSICAL MEMORY - 510MB

NOTE: I have tried to swap drives, repair with recovery console, and many other methods of finding whatever this little problem may be that is keeping me from getting into windows. If anyone has any advice or knows what it may be, PLEASE reply to this. THANKS!

Make sure the jumper on the new slave drive is set correctly and check the boot order in BIOS.

Jumpers are set correctly and the boot order is FLOPPY, CD ROM, HDD. I have tried several times to repair using Recovery Console with no luck. I have Puppy Linux which allowed me to back up my data, but for some reason every time I attempt to start up it detects the drives normally and goes to the black screen with the blinking cursor. I have looked on several forums and found a few people with this problem but never found a solution...

Put your XP cd in the cd drive, reboot and do a Repair Install (NOT the Console one, a repair).

he's not using windows genius. He failed to dismount the drive before uninstalling it. I am not a linux expert so someone else will have to take a crack at this.

Tedster posted; 'he's not using windows genius. He failed to dismount the drive before uninstalling it. I am not a linux expert so someone else will have to take a crack at this.'

If that was meant for me, I did note he posted;

'KERNEL - MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP, UNIPROCESSOR FREE
PRODUCT TYPE - PROFESSIONAL
PRODUCT VERSION - 5.1' - seemed to me he had XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back