XP no devices in device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeCat1

My original post was moved to BSOD, I`m not getting a blue screen. The system boots up and I have most programs.

I can not get to the internet. And I have no devices listed in device manager.

I have down loaded Memtest86+ and am running that now. First stick of memory shows 0 errors.

I did get the System has recovered from a serious error with BCCode of 10000050.

System is AMD Barton 2500+ ASUS A7V8x-x with XP Pro sm3 with all updates.

BIOS is Award Software ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1013 (09/02/2004)

I tried a restore from a few days ago which failed saying there was a shutdown during restore?

I'm not sure what to do next. I do have XP CD but don't know if I should be doing a repair, since many things are working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

First thing is to check if Plug and Play service is running
Start->Run, enter: services.msc. Now scroll down to find service name: Plug and Play (not! Universal Plug and Play!) now look to check Status= Started and Startup Type= Automatic

XP Pro sm3 with all updates.

I assume you mean SP3? How recently did you install it? Do you Norton or who do use for your anti-virus? anti-spyware? Note this problem can also be cause by such anti-virus products if they do things like real-time protection (e.g. changes to registry) and you had it turned on when you installed SP3

Yes SP3. Has been in for a few months.
Machine has been working fine internet, email, etc.

Overnight I ran Memtest86+ for 9 passes with no errors.

I use Windows Defender and AVG Free. I do use automatic updates and have had no problems with conflicts. No errors during Windows updating.
I do have a Linksys wrt54gr router and ADSL modem as hardware firewall.

Thanks Kimsland. The Repair guide was very helpful.

Have completed the repair. Says successfuly.

Device Manager now lists all devices.
Safely Remove Hardware icon now in system tray.

Still can not access the internet.

I can not access the router 192.168.1.1 from the desktop, but when I access it from this laptop, I only see the laptop.

The motherboard in the desktop has onboard NIC. I have replaced the cable between NIC and router -- no change.
Light is on on NIC card.
When I go to control panel/network connections it shows that LAN Connection is Connected.

Suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Finally got connected to the internet about 2:00PM.

Created a new connection and then the desktop showed up in the router table.

Now can connect.

So, I ended up doing the repair after 10 hours or more of memtest86+ with 0 errors.

I did get a STOP error ox00000050 (E329E000, 00000000,805D937C,00000001) which indicates a Page Fault in non-paged area ???

The system will boot and get to internet consistently.

Just getting the emails caught up now. No internet since Friday afternoon on the desktop.

Thanks for suggestions along the way.

Latest status on XP No devices After Repair

Just an update to status of this issue.

I was getting some errors with Firefox and IE last night. I have attached the event jpgs.

I was getting a Stop error when I shut down to do a reboot.

I noticed that when I finished the repair, my system was at XP SP2. I know that it was at SP3 previously. So, overnight I ran Windows Update to get latest patches. It did several security updates etc but did not do the SP3 by itself.

This morning I did the SP3 update successfully.

Since then, I have run Firefox with several tabs open and have not "Yet" had a failure.

I"d like to know if the Page fault issue (STOP message 00000050) is something I can correct, or if it is some component of processor or motherboard.

I did run the Memtest86+ for over 8 hours (9 passes) with 0 errors.

Also, does anyone use Microsoft Updates as compared to Windows updates? I have been using Windows Updates for a long time, but today when I went to see my Update History, I got a lot of advertising to move to Microsoft Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back