Retrieving data from RAID 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm hoping somone here can give me some good news as to how this can be done but I am not very optimistic. I had a Dell XPS that took a dump on me. The motherboard got fried and I decided to build a new computer myself rather than have to deal with Dell again. The Dell had two drives in RAID 0. If i put them in the new machine as the only drives, it is going to want to partition/format them to install windows. I don't want this. I was hoping there is a way to retrieve files from those drives, mostly photos, and movies, and things in my docs and move them onto my new computer. I know I know I know I should have everything backed up but I didn't. I regret it but I never moved everything over to my external as I had planned. I was only able to move some before the motherboard fried. If anyone has an idea to help me out with this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

the pain of losing raid-0 ...

oh man, we all feel your pain :blackeye: you already know what SHOULD have been
so we'll not harass you on what would-should-could of.

you might TRY to move the pair to the new system to see if the BIOS would recognize
them. if so, there's a slim (~1% imo) chance that you just might get access.
it would mean getting new drivers installed, but that would be a JOY compared to
where you sit now.

Raid-0 is particularly difficult to relocate or recover as
  • there are multiple HDs required
  • the ORDER of cabling is important
  • the raid software drivers can be an issue
and that's before any media considerations, eg partition errors.

Hopefully, anyone with Raid-0 reading this thread will take this experience to heart
and take immediate steps to PRESERVE IMPORTANT DATA on the raid.

I did try to move them into the new comp first. I was able to integrate the new SATA RAID drivers into the windows software (gotta love nlite) and was able to get past the "setup could not find hard drives in this computer" screen but it was then asking me to partition the drive and I know that means losing all the information on there. :-( I am deffinitly done with RAID now. I am going out to get a single fast TB drive and back up important stuff on my external. Any ideas around the partitioning?

raid 0 data recovery is near impossible if 1 of the drives has failed. If you have a motherboard failure, you will be forced to use a similar motherboard in the same raid configuration to retrieve data. But crucial data should ALWAYS be backed up to a non-raid device in a raid 0 system.

You can try using a non dell motherboard with similar drivers, but the os may crash as the configuration is not the same. good luck.

There is software you can puchase (i think its around $100,but i'll have to find it again) that will rebuild the array and allow you to pull data from the drives.

Raid-0 is particularly difficult as the cable ORDER of the drives matters;
get it wrong on the first try and it scrambles the data better that encryption could ever do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back