Help on loading XP on Eee PC 900

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthmode

I have bought xp with sp2 and want to load it to my EeePC but all the tutorials I follow do not work.
I want to load the cd onto a USB drive and boot from there to the HDD of the Eeepc
The EeePC has linux but not needed as no use.
any help or pinters to tutorials that may work will be appreciated.
I do not have access to or can get a usb cd-rom, hence only a usb stick

Tell us more about EeePC and how it is configured.
But in general, your ability to use Windows XP on a USB stick is limited by the fact that Windows Requires the CD or DVD version. It simply will not install from a flash drive, due to the Microsoft security that is used to protect their control over who uses it.
There are tricks and hacks you can find on other sites, but TechSpot does not support the kind of work that may be necessary to install from a Flash Drive. What is more, it will take some real study, wherever you find guidance.

Thanks raybay.
It had Linux on it which I managed to load win 98 boot files onto Flash drive and access all partions and re-format all to one single drive. FDISK, Format, etc,
Linux is now gone totally. The Eeepc is 8GB/1G RAM New Last week.

I bought win XP PRO sp2 2002 CD to load on but no USB optical drive and I will not be able to use one, borrow one or ever get ,so this is not an option. I want to install XP pro.
I want to use my flash drive to act as the boot drive which is no problem for the EeePC 900A to use in the LEFT only USB port. (The two USB Ports on the right will not allow Booting or access in the BIOS)
I have tried every possible tutorial on the net for me to do this and every one has problems. Mostly with the CMD prompt as it's all done in good old dos. Has anyone ever done this fully with-out missing instructions or badly written tutorials that are incomplete and simply don't work?
I don't want to load the XP onto a flash-drive as the Operating system, I only want the CD contents on there to allow the USB flash drive to be the boot for me to then load the XP files onto my EeePC Hard-drive. New install in other words.

I've now spent 3 days and nights trying every tutorial on the net on this. I want to put XP Disk onto USB-Stick to then have the USB stick act as boot drive for the XP CD.
I can get to this stage but the tutorials I use are NOT doing the job.
It says it takes about 15 mins to copy the files to the USB drive, it takes about 20 secs then I'm left with an empty USB drive.
Do I have to put the whole package on the USB drive and run it from there?

USB stick act as boot drive for the XP CD.
I hope you know booting off a usb is slow and much inferior to a normal harddrive.

it takes about 20 secs then I'm left with an empty USB drive.
I've only skimmed the tutorials, but I don't think your supposed to end up with an empty drive, and I don't think you can boot into an empty drive >.>, I would assume that's your problem.

I know thats a problem but I never compiled the programs used to do all this so out of my control.
I then copied the entire contents to the usb-stick then ran the relevant programs from there, which then keeps everything in one place.
This appears to have worked and now I can boot to the USB-stick.
Will see how it goes from here as I want to end up with.

Previous to this I managed no problem to use pebuilder3110a to install XP as a lash drive ready OS which I was able to boot to and use.

So maybe some registry settings on me or simply the tutorials are not conclusive for everyone. I've been working and formatting in dos for years so am able to know whats going on here with relevant boot types and formats etc.
I'll try the above then if it fails i'll start posting the errors I get as they happen, hopefuly then I might be able to get this done.

All done and running. XP_PRO 2002 on my EeePC 900A. Used a mix of things but it went on no problem and regisdtered and updated. Too many usless tutorials are on the net to do this so I will write-up the way I done mine as this will work for any PC without an optical drive or CD/DVD ROM.
Had to revert back to good old dos commands and a program called USB_PREP8 and PeToUSB to do it but no problem.
I write this only to say the help I got here was no help what-so-ever and i'm sorry to say a lot of present day forums are like this. Tons of members but no real help when it's needed.

Good job, and thanks for writing it up.
Had to revert back to good old dos commands and a program called USB_PREP8 and PeToUSB to do it but no problem.
Is that to enable the USB to boot? I find some USB's simply don't boot.

Give me till tomorrow and i'll re-do it with screen shots on the write-up.
This will work for any USB flash/hard-drive. (I've now tried 7 different ones and all booted.)
Every time someone posts a message it forwards to my e-mail so it will make me get a move-on on the write-up. Watch this space.

EeePC Tutorial on installing XP from a USB device

Here is a tutorial I put together to help those who are struggling with putting XP onto there EeePC.
It allows you to boot and load your OS from USB device onto the EeePC

http://www.mac-designs.co.uk/EeePC/EeePC_900A_XP_Installed from USB_Stick.pdf

It is in pdf form with links included to allow you to get the three little programs you need to do this tutorial.

if an Admin wants to put it up on the actual site as text e-mail me and i'll send you this, as I'm not spending hours doing this part.

Here is a tutorial I put together to help those who are struggling with putting XP onto there EeePC.
It allows you to boot and load your OS from USB device onto the EeePC

It is in pdf form with links included to allow you to get the three little programs you need to do this tutorial.

Cool tutorial, thank-you, i've being trying for weeks to install this on my EeePC901. It is close to one I found at EeePC but their links to the programs were full of rubbish and pop-ups so never got them. it explained what to do but never showed you. I ended up with no OS as I ruined Linux somehow until I found this one.
I got my brother to help but now I've got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back