Missing or corrupt System file...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on a XP Home PC for a friend. Child was playing a game and the screen went blank. Would not boot after that. Stops with the msg about missing or corrupt C:/Windows/System32/Config/System file. :blackeye:

Tried the "Windows XP recovery console - cannot load" thread of "01-01-2004 10:35 AM" response "You probably need to restore the registry" of "01-02-2004 05:06 PM" by ak_in_charge and now there is no message, but PC will not boot. Locks up after the initial screen. There is a full restore point, RP449, that should be available, but do not know how to get it restored. When I try "Last Known Good" boot, there is no effect. :(

Keep in mind that while the HDD was in the host XP Pro PC to do the work, ran virus search and found several hundred viruses and removed them. :suspiciou

Thanks for any assistance. :)

might try an OS repair install, otherwise you will likely be needing to do a clean install, which isn't a bad idea since you say you found and removed several virii.

I don't know if this will help. but I have gotten a message which
looks a lot like:
"missing or corrupt C:/Windows/System32/Config/System file"
During the boot process, while over clocking the system both
while OC'ing the DDR and/or
the CPU. Once the correct parameters are re-entered into the
BIOS the "problem" goes away.

However, I second what StormBringer says about the clean
re-install because of the number of vivri you found..... that can't
be good.

The error message you have recieved means your Windows registry is corrupted.

You don't have to do a clean install or even a repair (although that may be the easiest).

Rowdy6680 shared this information with us. I've used it a number of times in the past to fix your error as well, and it has worked nearly every time.

I.... I'm new here, and I wanted to give this information, just in case one day it might help someone. I have done numerous repairs and attempted repairs of Windows XP...some are successful, but not always. I have found that the information in the MS Knowledgebase has helped me as a last resort, be able to get into XP with a minor loss of any program. I guess I can't guarantee it will always work, but it has not failed me yet. At least if it's due to registry corruption and not a driver/program issue that even prevents entering windows in safe mode. If someone already posted this...sorry about that...but I have had this work!! And it's always worth a try. Just read the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545&Product=winxp

Hope this can help even one of you from doing a complete format and losing data....otherwise...there's always Norton Ghost! hehe...at least to back up the HD....

The link is the important inforamtion you'll need to check out.

What about the Restore Point?

Guess I will do a clean install. Hard to believe that there is no way to get XP Home to recover back to a Restore Point.

Thanks for the help folks... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back