First build.. look good for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whillow5

Hey I am interested in building my first computer and have been looking up parts. How does this build seem to look? My main goal is to rock mmorpg's

MB ASROCK X58 EXTREME 1366 RT

ASUS EAH5830 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT

MEM 2Gx3|OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK R

DVD BURN SONY-NEC|AD-7241S-0B %

CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT

HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS %

Intel Core i7-920

Considering most MMO games don't require tons of power, I might change a few things. You left out an important piece of information - what OS will you be using? You don't really need 6GB of RAM for gaming, and I'd probably just go with a 1GB HD5770 and 600-650watt power supply to save some cash. I would also consider the i7-930 since it's not too much more money and a little faster than the 920.

EXC is right, you might be overkilling it. First off what MMO is it? If this is strictly for World of Warcraft and nothing else this seems steep. But if you want a future proof machine for yourself and upcoming games this looks nice especially with room to upgrade. Also what resolution do you plan to use?

I would also consider the i7-930 since it's not too much more money and a little faster than the 920.

$5 more I believe.

yea if it's only 5 dollars more you'd be crazy not to pick up a 930... even though the 920 is more than enough already. i say go with 4GB DDR3 RAM and then pick up a mainstream card. that way the computer is relatively future-proof and you're getting a better value out of the money you spend. imho i7 is still way ahead of the game for most MMO's so you'll get your money's worth and then some.

yea if it's only 5 dollars more you'd be crazy not to pick up a 930... even though the 920 is more than enough already. i say go with 4GB DDR3 RAM and then pick up a mainstream card. that way the computer is relatively future-proof and you're getting a better value out of the money you spend. imho i7 is still way ahead of the game for most MMO's so you'll get your money's worth and then some.

Indeed and if he wants more power down the road he can pick up another card to crossfire.

Hey guys I appreciate the responses.. I took into account some of the things you said and this is what I came up with.. Also I assume I will be using windows 7 when I make it.

MB ASROCK X58 EXTREME 1366 RT

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR (seems to be a more popular card)

Antec Earthwatts EA650w ATX12V (less power but seems sufficient)

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (4GB memory)

HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS %

intel core i7 930 (slightly better as pointed out)

Do these tweaks seem like I'm headed in the right direction?

well if you're going with 4GB RAM do yourself a favor by installing Windows 7 64-bit. I would highly recommend Corsair power supplies over Antec... the TX series 650w is an awesome unit for the money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

if you're looking for a video card along the performance lines of the GTX-260 i would recommend either an HD4870 or 4890... but keep in mind both are a little much for MMOs alone. i think the ideal cards would be 9800GT(X) or HD4850 which would provide plenty of graphics power at a reasonable price (less than $200).

You still haven't said what games and resolution you plan to play. But like EXC said it's still a bit much for MMOs alone if that's all you are doing. I'd also recommend something from this generation rather then last, like the 5770. Performance wise it's a bit below the GTX 260, but its also cheaper and is good in crossfire if you go that route later on.

Wait, that's a tripple channel memory board. I wouldnt go with 4 gigs of ram in a board like that, usually those kits come in 3x1gb or 3x2gb and for good reason. Its one of the main advantages of buying a x58 board, if you're going to use 4gb just take a step down in mobos instead of a x58 board.

You could cut down on the CPU here. Won't need that much power for MMOs. Consider an i5 750 if you want to go quad.

Thanks for keeping the recommendations coming! so maybe I am going overboard with some of my parts... does this lower quality build seem more reasonable for price / but still good for MMOs

Gigabyte GA-PSSA-UD3

Sapphire 100283L Radeon HD 5770

Corsair CMPSU 650TX 650W

G.Skill 4GB

HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS %

i5-750

Your selections seem okay. Glad you changed the mobo and cpu because putting dual channel ram at 4gb in a tripple channel x58 board is a waste, at least now you save a bit of money and can move forward.

I think the HD 5830 earlier was a better choice. Rest is fine. You could look into the MSI P55 GD65 mobo. It's got tons of features at a very competitive price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back