Hardware malfunction BSOD

SpikeyBoiCahir

Hello, Im Maciek. i have bought a new case a month back and put all the stuff inside including a new soundcard which is the creative soundblaster audigy and evrything seemed to work fine untill i got a bsod sain your system has haulted hardware malfunction. It pops up randomly for a few weeks now also last night i got a bsod with a stop message 1000007e which i gess sits in with hardware malfunction. i have no idea what it is though. is there anyway to find out. please help me. thank you in advance

Specs:
intel core 2 duo E6550 @2.33ghz
4 gigs kingstone hyperX DDR2 ram
asus striker extreme mobo
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
creative soundblaster audigy
400gg samsung hdd

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Wel i have looked for that folder but it seems like hardware malfunction screen just doesnt dump any files atall. and i have reinstalled windows hoping that would fix it but nope... it happened again while reading this forum. the other ones seem to disapear after reinstalling the graphics card drivers but that Hardware malfunction screen
keeps coming back randomly

Since it is a hardware problem a reinstall of Windows will not correct the issue. Uninstall your sound card and run your system as normal. Do you gain stability or does the hardware error message continue?

i have done that already but i still got the malfunction error. also i went into even viewer and got a few errors and criticals.

this one looks like if it has something to do with it:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Keywords 0x8000000000000002

Okay, let's try a tried and true and sometimes tedious diagnostic proceedure that is often successful. But before doing so do you have a digital multimeter to test your power supply? I would do that first.

Then do the following: Uninstall everything from the motherboard except PSU, cpu and one stick of RAM. Boot up and see if you receive any system crashes. If yes then one of those components are faulty. If not, power down and add one more piece of hardware and boot up again and so on.

Again, it can be tedious and takes time but can be very effective in determining in which piece of hardware is malfunctioning.

One other thing, if you got Error Codes like 0x7E then you should have a file in your Minidump Folder that is contained in your Windows Folder found on the C Drive.

okay i will start tomorrow because its getting late now and i don't really have room for all this stuff.. i will do it tomorrow and will share with you as soon as i can. Thank you again for your help so far
regards maciek

so anyway im running the setup with a cpu psu gpu and hdd and 1 gig of ram so far and everything seems to work for the past 15 minutes ill wait for about an hour and if nothing happens ill add another gig of ram. i wanted to start without the gpu and hdd but how wud i know if somethings wrong?

Because if the hardware itself is bad it will shut down; its the shut-downs we are looking for. It doesn't need the GPU or Harddrive but since things are stable now with what you have we'll definitely be looking forward to you updates.

You are doing good work.

oh and i also wanted to play a few games to see what happens but every game i turn on it is not full screen. there's black bars on left and right of the screen and that wasn't there before ?

thats what i was thin king but i have it in right now and i ddnt get a message 4 half an hour now.
it is very confusing.. ill try to reinstall drivers maybe the fulscreen issue will go away

regards

i reinstalled the drivers and it fixed the issue.. now im going to play a few games and will update u in half an hour. thanx for being with me trough this sad process:)

regards maciek

okay so nothing has happened 4 an hour so i decided to put in the second stick of my kingston hyperX ram and i got some action. first i decided to put it in the corresponding blue ram slot which is the third in the motherboard. powerd on and i got a DRAM INIT error and on the screen there was a command saing disk boot faiture please insert system disc and press enter. so i pulled the stick out and pluged it in the secound slot in the mobo and i got a different problem.. this time it said MEM INIT and it just froze and the boot screen. so i poped it out and pluged it in the last slot and no problems atall with booting but when i turned on the system it performed worse than with the one stick of ram also the firefox has crashed twice. Im supposing that this could be the fault but i ddnt get the screen yet. what i want to do now is i want to stress test the ram. do you know any tools for ram stressing only. im going to use prime 95 but maybe there is something for ram in perticular.

thanx maciek

Before readingthe minidump let me see if I read you correctly. Everything was fine until you put the second stick of the HyperX in, right?

Now Kingston makes excellent RAM but either the second stick is faulty OR the RAM configuration is possibly wrong. Also, in the BIOS check the memory voltage and compare it to the Kingston manufactured specs. Do they match?

okay i added the last stick now straight after putting the sound card in witout any troubles.

yes u have read this all correctly. i am now going to go to bios and check... bare with me.

okay it looks like you could be right. kingston says that the
KHX8500D2/1G DDR2 ram(the one i have) should be at 2.2V
:http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp

On the stick itself it says 2.3V

and in th bios it says its running at 2.14-2.16 (varies)

do you think that could be the problem..
btw this is without the "so far faulty" stick inside and everything seems to work fine "touch wood"

regards Maciek

Yes. Believe it or not increments of voltage changes can make a big difference. Go into your BIOS and manually change the memory to what it is designed for, save and exit.

Back