Random CPU spikes

Rifero

Hey all,

I'm experiencing an annoying problem during online MMORPG gaming.

For some reason, CPU spikes are going up significantly at random times.
Sometimes it starts to spike after 1-2 minute(s), other times it can take up to 10 minutes.
The spike duration is usually 10-20 seconds. This is very annoying.

I already tried the folllowing things;
  • Full CHKDSK
  • Defragmentation
  • Full virus & malware scan with aVast! and MBAM
  • Uninstalling unnecessary/rarely used programs
  • Running CCleaner
  • Running EUSING Registry Cleaner
Nothing helped.

I also tried to disable the antivirus, firewall, and Windows Update temporary, but that didn't help either.
The game is Perfect World International.

Whenever I re-install Windows 7, the CPU issue does not occur, but it does occur after a few days, and I don't feel like re-installing my OS all the time.
I'm looking for a permanent fix.

System specifications
Code:
OS Name	Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version	6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description 	Not Available
OS Manufacturer	Microsoft Corporation
System Name	ADMIN-PC
System Manufacturer	Packard Bell
System Model	EasyNote LJ65
System Type	X86-based PC
Processor	Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU       T3000  @ 1.80GHz, 1795 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date	Packard Bell V1.05, 6/25/2009
SMBIOS Version	2.4
Windows Directory	C:\Windows
System Directory	C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device	\Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale	United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer	Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name	Admin-PC\Admin
Time Zone	W. Europe Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)	3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory	2.93 GB
Available Physical Memory	1.17 GB
Total Virtual Memory	5.86 GB
Available Virtual Memory	4.06 GB
Page File Space	2.93 GB
Page File	C:\pagefile.sys

I hope I gave you all enough information. I couldn't think of anything else to share.

Thanks in advance! =)

Random CPU spikes often mean some software you had no idea was able to run 'unrequested' is activating. This could be just checking for upadates of e.g. java, active-x, and countless others.

You need to check over all the software installed and examine it's setup for where you can disable 'automatically check for updates'. Or just use the highly-repected software Seconia PSI to ensure everything is actually updated, with the bonus of getting a list of what is installed.

I did a scan with Seconia PSI and I got this message:

CONGRATULATIONS!
You have a perfect Secunia System Score of 100%, meaning that you have proactively secured your PC by successfully installing all missing security patches currently available for it!

Secunia System Score : 100%

Programs found:
0 Insecure programs
0 End-of-Life programs
46 Patched programs
46 Total

View Dashboard

View Scan Results

All my software seems to be up to date.

Two words: Process Explorer

You can take a quick read Tip: Get more accurate CPU usage data using Process Explorer vs. Task Manager as well as looking at the links to other thread examples about others who used it to figure out CPU usage questions

/* EDIT */
To start, suggest you run it minimized to your notification tray where it displays / you can see CPU spikes in a near real-time graph of your machine CPU usage. Just hover your mouse over the spike in its graph and it tells you what process is using highest CPU at that moment in time. It could well be an update check and.or download from Java, your A/V, etc.

p.p.s IMO: Process Explorer is the best thing since sliced bread :) (and certainly the most powerful single tool i've ever seen) I've been using it for many years and still only know how to use and interpret a fraction of what it can tell you about usage and what;s happening on your machine)

Back