Win MX problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rliu

I've been reading on this site that recent legal battles have been lost by the P2P networks, and now I can't download anything off Win MX, is it my problem or has the network been shut down?

The WinMX site doesn't say anything about being shut down or having any problems.

Perhaps you should completely uninstall your version and download the latest off their site.

If you still can't get in, check any firewalls you may have. Including Windows built-in one.

I have the latest version, v. 3.53, and I have made an exception for the programme on my firewall, I don't know what else to do.

Well let's start with the basics then. Does WinMX even connect at all? Or can you connect? Can you search for files but just not download? Does it give any errors or just plain doesn't work?

What firewall do you use? Are you sure there isn't any others? Like software firewall along Windows firewall or hardware firewall/router? Try just turning OFF any and all firewalls. It's a quick way to tell, if it doesn't work, turn them back on.

Have you reached any sort of "in program" limits? Such as to many being shared? Or to many in your downloaded folder? Or to many trying to download?
Are people uploading FROM you? Are you sharing files?
Does the program require you to share files in order to download? If so, whether uploading or downloading, have you reached any bandwidth limits? Of course that doesn't apply if it's not connected at all.
Does the program's settings say anything about connections or proxy?

Does the program have an error log of some sort? Check that.
If not, if the program errors in any way, it may be recorded in Windows own error log. Right click My Computer and choose Manage. Then click the plus next to Event Viewer. Check under Application and System and see if there is any info there about your program.

Sorry for all the questions. Maybe it will help lead you somewhere.

Honestly I still think it may be a firewall issue. Even with an exception, it could be blocking traffic of some sort. Norton is notorious for this.

Win MX

Hi
I'm having the same problem (?)

I've used WinMX 3.31? for a couple of years without problem and love the program.
Now recently, for no appearet reason I can't download ANYTHING !

I can search, find and once in the transfer window it is looking for sources and always times out.
I've reinstalled, upgraded to latest, set to defaults ????
Nothing seems to work.
The funny thing is, I can see by my modem interactions that Win MX isn't trying to DO much

I'm on dialup, 56k usually connected around 46.6
Win 2000
Pentium III, 800MHz
524 RAM

Alex

You seem to know your way around Winmx. I can download some music from winMX, but not all. However I cannot download any movies whatsoever!!. i have tried to build up my files to share, but no one appears to either want to or can share them. I paid for winmx to primarily download movies, so it is doing my head in, can you help me ?

I've used Win mx over the last year or so with no problem but recently, I've found that finding the required track/clip is no problem but downloading it is as the download always timeouts before its fully downloaded - I use a 512 broadband connection so its nothing to do with the modem, I suspect it may be something to do with the RIAA and isp's - don't ask me how or why as this is sheer speculation on my part but with the amount of data criss crossing between sharers, I bet that some official bodies not happy with this state of affairs...........

katieken

did you get this sorted out? i have been using winmx for a couple of years as well and now i cant download any songs when any single user has a connection that is T1 or faster. this is really frustrating especially when you want to get a current song that is really popular.

how do you start a thread in this forum ? - i'm a real noobie here

Win MX dl probs

I too am having problems... it seems like I have to keep trying forever to get one song. I can get lists and try to get them downloaded. The connections keep timing out, and I'm on and off the network.

I never used to have a problem. Does anyone know what's going on?

im having the same problems, i noticed on a website that Winmx is currently offline because frontcode has been ordered to shutdown Winmx, the Winmx servers are operated by frontcode incase you didnt know. but i cant remember what site it was and i have been trying to find it on google.

edit - i just tryed downloading music and it said waiting for incoming connection then said server access denied. it says that on every file i try.

Well it still seems to be hanging on... I can get on and search, but dowloading is slow and broken up. Looks like the end of Winmx. Too bad, it was a great program :(

Anyone having had problems in the past with Winmx should stick to it - I've not used it in months due to the problems mentioned, however, whilst checking it out last week, I've found that it appears to be working ok again having successfully downloaded several tracks with none of the previous problems.

I had the same problem and ended up just switching to Limewire (which is awesome, IMO). It was weeks on end that we couldn't use WinMX and we'd used it for years. Oh well! Hope it works better for you!

I found out that whenever I initiated a search, if my nortons firewall was initiated at the time,there would be no finds, however, on disabling the firewall, everything went smoothly including searches and downloads.
However, if I reinitialised the firewall in the midst of using winmx, the current download would continue but any queued downloads would timeout after a few minutes.

[conspiracy theory]

Maybe (closed source) firewall makers are blocking p2p applications even when user allows the applications to access the internet...

[/conspiracy theory]

help me with winmx

Hi everyone im new on here and seeking some serious help.
SYSTEM:HP Presario intel 4
Ive just been using my pc for 6mths now .i have also been downloading from Winmx.
Today it knocked me off Winmx and wont connect.ive read other problems and a lot of them refer to firewall.ive turned of windows firewall and use norton.
norton is configured for winmx and now im losing the will to live.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME??????????????????????????????????????????????
puke:

winmx has not been the same for months. to get around the whole timing out issue type -c: in one of the search lines so you avoid getting fake files. someone suggested it to me when I was having this problem and it has been working so far...that is until today, cos now winmx isn't working at all. I can connect, although it takes ages to do that, but can not find any search results at all, I can't even access the chat network channels to find out of anyone else is having the same problem. It is so frustrating, so if anyone has some advice or is going through this too then please let me know. Thanks

Actually, some ISPs are now limiting bandwidth on known p2p ports. Not blocking traffic completely (yet), just making it annoying.

The RIAA have contacted seven peer to peer companies concerning the issue of illegally distributed copyrighted material, the companies involved are,eDonkey, Limeware,Kazaa, i2Hub, BitTorrent, BearShare and winmx!

WinMX seems to be fine

I have been using WinMX for about a year and I have not had any problems with it. I don't do alot of downloading. I just recently upgraded to the new version a week ago and to me the site is downloading faster now then it did before. I was unable to download the large files before and now I have downloaded a few full album files that were over an hour long, and downloaded within 30 min. I am running DSL and WinXP, WinMX353 version. My suggestion is to try again.// Well I guess I stand to be corrected I just tried to sign on to WinMX and it is in LaLa land. but it was working fine last week.

WIN MX shut down?

Hi all,
Since yesterday, september 21, i can't conect anymore on Win mx.Im on Win mx for years and i never experienced any major trouble.
When i go to the online help, i can't find the server.
Is the problem here, or did they shut down?
I'm using DSL 512/4640.
Greetings,
Steppenwolf

WinMX is shut down, at least (hopefully) temporarly

I, too, haven't been able to log on since 09-20-2005 & have been unable to reach the WinMX website (http://www.winmx.com. After an exhaustive research I found two articles that may explain why:

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/5002/winmx_down.html

&

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=921

Hopefully they will be back, but be prepared! By the way, it would be great if they could design WinMX that they wouldn"t even need their server to log on, or possibly have a de-centralized backup server. In other words, once the sharing community is started it cannot be shut down unless EVERYONE logs off at once. I know this is a "practical impossiblity" for many reasons, but someone out there may be such a genius to come up with the solution.

WinMX unable to connect

Can anyone tell me whats going on with WinMX?
Even WinMX.com seems closed.
Will WinMX be going back online?

I cant find out whats going on and its driving me crazy.(Aarrgghh)

JUST IN: WinMX seems to be no longer FreeWare :mad: , you can download 2005-WinMX but its not for free :evil:

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back