Setup.exe & autorun.inf files?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ds_pandit

Hello everybody,
day before yesterday while I was browsing my pc, I found 2 files viz. setup.exe & autorun.inf in each shared folder. Now, the pc is in my company with several pcs attached with it so first check whether it is any virus attack or what .. but none of my antivirus detects the originator of these 2 files. (yaa I really installed 3-4 antivirus after I detect this situation of course uninstalling previous one.)
After that I installed ad-aware SE personal , it founds nearlly 103 probs, I fixed all those probs. but problem of creation of those files remains.

As another thread I have seen , I am attaching my HJT log here.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 12
Ok, well i'll post something that i just wrote there, that will help you a bit in getting rid of that infection.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57383.html said:
Ah.. i ran into this problem..

I believe that the setup file is about a few kb's? if you open the autorun.inf files with notepad it has a command that points to the setup.exe file

It hides itself as a Generic Host Process for Win32 Services when you double click on that file and it also copy itself to your other HDDs/partitions so do check for them. My firewall picked them up as "launched by program **exd**" (can't recall what it was exactly, but the first two are numbers).

Download Process Explorer, end the tasks on the bottom of the list, usualy a fake svchost.exe (not under the winlogon tree, which is genuine, but listed as a seperate app) or boot into safe mode. Also note that this file tries to load on startup as well, so unless you've let your firewall let it through than you cant disable it (as in finding the app launching it) from starting up.

Go and locate all those setup/autorun files on your HDDs and partitions (sometimes also found in the root folder eg C:\ ) and delete them all, and see if they reapear after a while.

Scan with Trendmicro Housecall and follow instructions as linked HERE

Breifly looking through your HJT log...
Uninstall Free Download Manager, and/or fix this:

O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdmcks.dll

You also don't have a firewall installed.. i suggest you download either Keiro Personal Firewall or Zonealarm, and set it to manualy configure what you allow for now.. and stop those files mentioned above from starting up..

EDIT: Link provided by Peddant on the other thread shall provide you with a bit more detail: http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.setclo.html

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Windows Log

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

nvsvcd.exe
loadqm.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdmcks.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ats] C:\WINDOWS\system32\asd\loadqm.exe noshow

O4 - Startup: New Text Document.bat

O9 - Extra button: Flash Saver - {09EA1F80-F40A-11D1-B792-444553540001} - C:\PROGRA~1\Flash saver\save.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Flash Saver - {09EA1F80-F40A-11D1-B792-444553540001} - C:\PROGRA~1\Flash saver\save.htm

O9 - Extra button: Export to Outlook EMR - {C62382D0-CC6B-426e-A224-C8410E6DEC61} - C:\Program Files\Urology Care\IEHtmlToPdfExt.dll

O23 - Service: Windows Log - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvcd.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvcd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\asd\loadqm.exe noshow

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of ds_pandit only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks N3051M,
I gone with your suggestion .
I did like-
1> Downloded process explorer - No svchost.exe other than winlogon tree.
2> I Fixed that Free download manager entry.
3> I downloaded Kerio Personal firewall -
Now strangly - there are no setup.exe & autorun.inf in shared folder ( I removed those files already ... but now till this time i did,t seen those 2 files)
But now what is the problem - I am getting the "Intrusion Blocked - Winlogon.exe" dialog box from firewall. That means these 2 files r not getting created on the machine , but the originator can not be found .. Bcaz I can't see the originator of these files from firewall's overview.
Now this is painy bcaz from time to time this dialog comes to show that winlogon.exe is blocked.

Thanks again!

Thanks Howard !! for your reply.
I will go through your suggetions also right now. & will tell u abt the changes.

Thanks again.

Hi Howard !
I gone through your suggestion & I am uploading my log file also.
But one thing - I have not fixed some entries bcaz some reasons
1>O9 - Extra button: Export to Outlook EMR - {C62382D0-CC6B-426e-A224-C8410E6DEC61} - C:\Program Files\Urology Care\IEHtmlToPdfExt.dll :- bcaz this is mine dll on which project I am working currently.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Did you install this programme yourself? C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\WinVNC4.exe If you didn`t you must uninstall it ASAP.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O20 - Winlogon Notify: winclv32 - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winclv32.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted.

This is the filepath you need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winclv32.dll

Once your system has rebooted, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

I am getting the "Intrusion Blocked - Winlogon.exe"
Check where the program is launched from. if its C:\Windows\System32 its the legit one, if its any other drive/folder then investigate it further..

In Keiro you can veiw the full file path by right clicking on the main window and go to "Displayed Application Name" then select "Full Path" or otherwise..

I've found some other setup.exe and the autorun.inf files while cleaning up my pc further. To list where i've found so far (maybe add this to your list of 'where its likely to find' howard?):

Root folder of your HDDs/Partitions
Network share folders
Mapped Drives/folders
My Documents
the original folder where its downloaded to (for example i have a folder where i download all my stuff to then sort them out after)

Hi Howard!
This is my fresh HJT after I reboot in Normal mode. As you told me I did everything, But

1>"Did you install this programme yourself? C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\WinVNC4.exe " --- Yes - I do this for my office PCs.

Now firewall is not asking me about winlogon.exe intrusion!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!

Hi N3051M!
Right now I m not getting that intrusion blocked dialog. But if I am not making mistake , the path for winlogon.exe always showed "c:\Windows\System32" in Keiro dialog...

Thanks a billian to both of you.
But if I got the problem again , then please don't hesitate to answer me,
Thanks again.

Have HJT fix this inactive entry.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: winclv32 - winclv32.dll (file missing) <This was the nasty file.

Other than that, your HJT log is clean.

Your firewall isn`t asking about the winlogon intrusion, because it`s gone.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of ds_pandit only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back